• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tilt steering column vs. non Tilt

BigG

NAXJA Forum User
I have a big quandary on my mind. I recently had my '96 XJ broken in to and the steering column torn up to the point of needing to be replaced. My jeep does not have tilt steering (or so I thought), and the shop I took it to said the non-tilt column would cost more to order in as they are rarer and a tilt column would not fit.

When I went to pick up the jeep, the wheel was at a considerably lower angle. I asked the mechanic about this, he pulls the shroud off, pushes a few springs on top of the column, and it adjusts! WTF?!?!

I ask the manager (the guy who gave the original estimate) about this, he adds to the story of incompatibility concerning the wiper controls and electrical plugs possibly not fitting.

So, my question to the XJ experts out there: in a 1996 XJ, what is the critical difference between tilt and non-tilt steering columns?

Doubt it helps you because of the year difference, but I broke the clock spring in my '99 non-tilt, so I replaced it with a tilt column, no problem. Used all my old switches. The only thing to watch out for was the style of clock spring. If you have cruise control, or any buttons on your steering wheel, you will need to one with more wires. took less than an hour.

Yeah, mine has cruise as well. but if the later model matched up, I see no reason the earlier models wouldn't either. I'll be glad to hear from someone with an older one, though.

One problem is that 95 and 96, which have mechanical air bags, are unique years, making all columns for them relatively rarer. But the 95 service manual makes no mention of differences in wiring or any other procedures for the columns.

Back