• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with RCV Axles

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
Ordered some of these with my new Currie 9" front axle. Went to install them and discovered what appears to be that they are too long.:huh:

The spline is seated in the diff as I can move the output shart and the axle solidly moves.

There is just no room for the uni-bearing to seat with the knuckle.

Here is the space provided by the stock axles:

IMG_0158.jpg

Here is the space, or lack of it, with the RVC's:

IMG_0161-1.jpg

I have an e-mail into Currie who supplied the 9" front axle and the RCV's.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Your 9" supposed to be full width or shorter? Maybe they sent you shafts for full-width if not?

one thing to consider is to make sure the bell boot is completely pushed on to the bell? Its a challange at times. Lots of wd40 and a pry bar is needed at times for us.

just a possibility.

one thing to consider is to make sure the bell boot is completely pushed on to the bell? Its a challange at times. Lots of wd40 and a pry bar is needed at times for us.

just a possibility.

Thanks, the boot are fully in, there is plenty of clearence for the axle to go in more, if it would, or could.

You can see the clearence in this picture;

IMG_0160-1.jpg

Right now Currie is talking about cutting the inside spline to fit!?!?!?!?

More later,

Fred
Explorer 1

well as long as there is enough spline to fit and if the seal surface is still in the seal area, then that will work just fine. Cut with cutoff saw and then chamfer with a flap wheel. IF thats what they recommend.

Interesting enough the long side fits just fine only the short side was too long.

Let's see did I say that right? " The short side was too long"

The inside spline on the RCV is over 3"s long so Currie is cuttting on the 7/8th inch needed for it to work, I'll pick it up Monday morning.

Maybe by the end of next week Explorer 1 will be back together and ready to break in the new diff. just before I set off for two weeks exploring around Mammoth Lakes.

More later,
Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

simple fix, just swap in a dana 30.. Who needs all that extra bling anyway?

The "Orange" globe is in......

After Currie cut off 7/8th" we still had to remove another 1/8 to get a correct fit.

Finally got both sides in, here is the Orange Globe:

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Re-attach the track bar, add brake fluid, diff oil, check the torque setting and off for a test drive.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

you, built a 9" and kept D30 outers? thats insane!

Perhaps your right and I'll end up cutting off the 30's knuckle. My problems have always been on the inside, never have had a problem with the 30"s knuckle or uni-hub.

In a perfect world I would have also gone to a larger outters with a different bolt pattern.

I also recently upgraded the disc brakes to the Ford Explorer Sport-trac assembly and at the same time bought my bead locker rims. so I decided to keep the 30's so I could still use the brakes and new rims.

If the outters don't work out.......I'll start another thread. :dunno:

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

installed.........

Installed and seems to be OK, Pick up the new shortened drive shaft this afternoon and then off to the muffler shop to re-route the exhaust over and around the new output shaft and drive shaft.

IMG_0210-1.jpg

IMG_0211-1.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Back