• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputter in reverse?

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
so my jeep has started sputtering really bad, it also gets a massive loss of power. however, only while its in reverse and under heavy load(think buried in beach sand, floored in 4lo). not only that but it only acts this way when its at operating temp, if its cooler then that, it does not happen. edit: also it only happens after about half throttle..

any ideas??

89 4.0 aw4 231 35in tires

thanks

hmm, that seems wierd, but ill give it a try

actually, for some reason i had a thought maybe the tranny mount was bad allowing it to move and maybe it was pinching a wire or line or something..

tranny mount is good and bellhousing bolts are tight, any other ideas?
=/

check the wiring at the fuel rail and firewall.
the wire loom could have a break and making contact with the wires.
good luck

check the wiring at the fuel rail and firewall.
the wire loom could have a break and making contact with the wires.
good luck

I'd forgotten about that. The injection/sensor harness is prone to rubbing at the back of the valve cover. Wiggle that whole harness along it's length with the Jeep idling and see if you can duplicate the symptom.

I'd forgotten about that. The injection/sensor harness is prone to rubbing at the back of the valve cover. Wiggle that whole harness along it's length with the Jeep idling and see if you can duplicate the symptom.

will try this today

Sorry to take so long to reply...
Wiggled all the wires and harnesses......nothing happened. Im stumped =\

Have you ever refreshed all your grounds? That braided wire from the back of th ehead should be repaced with a #4 cable running from the firewall to the rearmost bolt on the fuel injection rail. It's super important to scrape the paint off the firewall where it bolts on before installation.

On the passenger side of the engine where the dipstick tube is, is a stud holding the dipstick tube on. Remove the nut with a 1'2" wrench. Remove the 3 or 4 wires from there, clean the block and all wire terminals til shiny bare metal and reinstall tightly.

alright, ill try this too. thanks

Sorry just read again and I had a reverse problem in the past with a zj. It ended up being the fluid. The previous owner had put the wrong tranny fluid in it. But it only did it when it was at normal running temp. He said that the parts store said to run normal automatic tranny fluid instead of the at4 and ended up messing it up.

the jeep goes into reverse just fine, and the fluid is correct.
the engine sputters and runs like crap when im in reverse, under heavy load and at operating temp. it doesnt happen any other time.

Back