• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So many problems with my jeep :(

00'CherokeeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So during this winter my radiator took a crap and I replaced it this spring. Now just recently my NEW radiator has been leaking behind the radiator cap and I don't even know how fluid is coming out of there. To make matters worse I have dummy lights and dont know what this light is but its the top right light that looks like an oil can with a drip?....well it lights up every time I come to a stop light. I never hear the electric fan come on when its hot as shit out. I know it works cuz I hear it maybe once a week but doesn't stay on longer than 15 seconds.

One more problem!!! is click click click click click click ting ting click click whenever I slow down or turn. Sound is coming from the front somewhere. My hose to my front diff wont stay in the hole if that makes a difference? It still makes the noise plugged in or out.

Somebody please help me for the love of god!!! I don't want to sell my first car/jeep but im gonna have to junk it or something because its just become a major pain to drive lately.

Have you tried a new radiator cap? Maybe yours is just bad. Do you have an owners mauel? Look up what the light is if you do or some one else will have to chime in because I dont have mine handy to take a look. For the noise you could try jacking up each side and spinning the tire to try to isolate the sound. Could be anything, rock in dust shield, bad u joints, just need to dig further.

its the genie light, it means your low on wishes.

... you call them problems? pffft. rookie.

sounds like front axle shaft ujoints? others will chime in, i havent worn out any axle shaft ujoints....

hose to the front diff... you mean the vent on the backside of the pumpkin? maybe someone with a low pinion will chime in, but theres a small plastic peice that clicks into the diff, then accepts that hose, do you have that peice?

that genie light, is actually oil pressure.... check your oil, its hard to diagnose with only dummy lights =\

So during this winter my radiator took a crap and I replaced it this spring. Now just recently my NEW radiator has been leaking behind the radiator cap and I don't even know how fluid is coming out of there. To make matters worse I have dummy lights and dont know what this light is but its the top right light that looks like an oil can with a drip?....well it lights up every time I come to a stop light. I never hear the electric fan come on when its hot as shit out. I know it works cuz I hear it maybe once a week but doesn't stay on longer than 15 seconds.

One more problem!!! is click click click click click click ting ting click click whenever I slow down or turn. Sound is coming from the front somewhere. My hose to my front diff wont stay in the hole if that makes a difference? It still makes the noise plugged in or out.

Somebody please help me for the love of god!!! I don't want to sell my first car/jeep but im gonna have to junk it or something because its just become a major pain to drive lately.

Now just recently my NEW radiator has been leaking behind the radiator cap and I don't even know how fluid is coming out of there.

As previously stated, it may be your radiator cap. If you replace the cap make sure it's a 16 lb. cap.

To make matters worse I have dummy lights and dont know what this light is but its the top right light that looks like an oil can with a drip?....well it lights up every time I come to a stop light.

That "oil can with a drip" is the low oil pressure warning light. Minimum oil pressure for the 4.0 Liter engine is 13 psi at idle (600 RPM). Looks like your oil pressure is dropping below 13 psi. First thing you should do is check the oil on your oil level dipstick. Make sure it's in the safe range, and sniff it to see if it smells like gas (injector stuck open?), and check to see if the oil on the stick is milky (anti-freeze in the oil - cracked head or blown head gasket).

First thing: change the oil and filter. I use Valvoline 10W-30 High Mileage, and use a Wix #51515 oil filter. Try these. If your low oil pressure warning lamp still comes on, take it to a shop (or DIY) to hook up a direct reading oil pressure gauge to the port where the oil pressure switch is installed. If the direct reading oil pressure at idle is less than 13 psi, you have internal engine problems. May need further trouble shooting.

One more problem!!! is click click click click click click ting ting click click whenever I slow down or turn.

As previously stated, there may be several things to look for; the front axle U-Joints, brakes, axle bearings, etc.

I just read that one of the symptoms of low oil pressure is extreme heat which makes since why the light comes on at stoplights because my electric fan isn't kicking on.

Also my radiator isn't leaking at the cap, its that area behind the cap where the radiator has like a 3 inch cylindrical thing sticking out.

I just read that one of the symptoms of low oil pressure is extreme heat which makes since why the light comes on at stoplights because my electric fan isn't kicking on.

I'm assuming you have a 4.0 engine with Air Conditioning.

Your mechanical (Viscous) fan is your primary means of cooling. The electric fan will remain on when A/C is requested or when A/C is not requested, and the coolent temp reaches approximately 218* F, the PCU will turn the electric fan on, then when the coolant temp drops below 209*F the PCU will turn the fan off.

Question: Are you really having Extreme Heat conditions?

I'm assuming you have a 4.0 engine with Air Conditioning.

Your mechanical (Viscous) fan is your primary means of cooling. The electric fan will remain on when A/C is requested or when A/C is not requested, and the coolent temp reaches approximately 218* F, the PCU will turn the electric fan on, then when the coolant temp drops below 209*F the PCU will turn the fan off.

Question: Are you really having Extreme Heat conditions?

I do have a/c but I unplugged the compressor because i never use it. And its been mid 90's all week.

I do have a/c but I unplugged the compressor because i never use it. And its been mid 90's all week.

Let's regroup...

When you said "just read that one of the symptoms of low oil pressure is extreme heat which makes since why the light comes on at stoplights", I thought you were referring to engine coolant temperature, not the outside air temperature.

Why is that?

Basically it doesn't make sense = do have a/c but I unplugged the compressor because i never use it. And its been mid 90's all week.

?

~~~~~~~~~

You still have an oil pressure problem that should be taken care of first.

Did you check the condition of your oil on the dipstick? :dunno:

Another clue to coolant getting in your oil is to pull the oil fill cap on the valve cover and look inside. If there's milky looking crap in there, it's a good chance anti-freeze is getting into your oil.

yeah, that sounds odd.

Like my 98 year old aunt who throws a blanket over the digital clock because she doesn't need to know what time it is.

Would unplugging the AC compressor affect how the efan switch works?

my stock oil pressure gauge on my xj has ALLWAYS been finicky.... i did pretty much the same thing as covering the clock with a blanket... i ripped the pointer off... 4 years later and i got other stuff to worry about.

ignorance is bliss? oh yeah. spare motor is on the stand, should it be needed. someday i'll have a proper dash with proper gauges.

Would unplugging the AC compressor affect how the efan switch works?

I doubt it would. However it depends on what was unplugged. If it is just the positive to power the compressor clutch than no.

@ Sidewinder....I meant I unplugged it because it doesn't work either haha and the sound of the compressor clutch kicking on and off was annoying. But weirdly I did plug it back in yesterday and the oil pressure light hasn't come on since? Idk if that was somehow causing it but ill run it for a couple more days and see if the light comes back on.

Back