• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 engine trans swap to 97

jrouse5

NAXJA Forum User
I have finally found a jeep donor vehicle for the motor mainly for my jeep. The jeep that is the donor is s 98 and mine is a 97. Does anyone know what will be required for the engine swap, if it will just drop in sensors and all will plug up? Or is any will need to be swapped. And also, The jeep that I have has an unknown history. It was a park ranger vehicle. It only had 105K on it, but engine was bad. The computer was throwing a P0700 trans code. So i am a little worried about that. I have another question about the 98 trans going in to the 97. What, if anything, will have to be done to get that in with as little trouble as possible. The donor runs and drives, so computers and all are working and available. I was just looking for some advice for what would be the easiest and best way to get the parts in. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

The P0700 code... Did it also show a P0705 code? In any event, sounds like the NSS needs to be cleaned out and readjusted.

The 98 AW4 has both an input and an output speed sensor. I do believe that it should work with the TCM you have. The swap can not go the other way...

Other than that, everything else should just swap over.

The only trans code I saw was P0700. What does that mean by its self? And also, if I decide to put the 98 trans into the 97, the way I took the prior posts, is that you use the sensors from the 98 and they will fit the 97 plugs and all have a home?

Back