• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stolen cat converter w/Cali emissions

shaman1204

NAXJA Forum User
**As a disclaimer, I will replace the cat converter**

Bad two weeks for the XJ. Had the stereo stolen two weeks ago, went out of town for the holiday and there was a hail storm when I was gone so my hood looks like a golf ball. Then I tried to start it up and it scared the $h!t out of me. Looked under and the cat had been sawed off.

Can I replace the cat section with some straight pipe I have until I can get it replaced? I have the California emissions package, so all the o2 sensors are before this third cat with the two precats attached to the exhaust manifold. I was just wondering if it will screw with anything if I drive it for a week or two like that until I get the $$ to fix it.

Vatozone sells a cherokee specific cat-delete pipe for under 20$. .

Vatozone sells a cherokee specific cat-delete pipe for under 20$. .

That would be great, as I cant get my scrap pipe to work. The little a-holes cut the cat off really close to the crossmember. If there is a specific pipe made for this I can take it off and keep it for the next time they steal the cat.

I searched autozone website and google and couldnt find it, do you happen to have a link?

I guess they do not have it anymore? At least not on their site. I know that its 2.5" pipe, If you still have the forward flange, you can pull it and weld the pipe to that and use a clamp for the rear.
performance-curve.com has a universal cat under50$.

Last edited:
Flange is gone. They cut it to where the manifold pipe is just starting to bend towards the engine. I wonder if one of those sealing clamps (not a C-clamp) you tighten with two bolts would work....

It should work alright.

I have the California emissions package, so all the o2 sensors are before this third cat with the two precats attached to the exhaust manifold.
Although, you'll throw a code, as the downstream O2 sensor is looking for catalyst action.
Read.

You can get a high flow cat from many places for around $70. I use [email protected]. Using a piece of straight pipe in the mean time will be fine. Won't throw codes, won't hurt the engine.

Back