• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear End '98 XJ Dana35

Kowalski5599

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I am currently looking to replace the rear diff on my '98 XJ, the closest wrecker has upwards of 10 cherokees. The problem is they are quite far away and you must pull the parts yourself. I have a D35 with 3.55:1 gear ratio with posi, and am wondering how I can tell the proper gear ratio/posi from the wrecked XJ's. I can only go on weekends and can't call chrysler with the VINs. Is there an easy way to visually check without removing anything to find the right diffs?

Automatics come with 3.55 stock. If the vehicle has an auto tranny and doesn't have any mods done to it, it is probably a safe bet that the axle has 3.55 gears. Or just pull the cover and look for the stamp on the ring gear that says what the ratio is.

there should also be an indentification tag on one side of the cover stating the ratio. Try and get an upgrade while you are at it and get the 8.25 - unless you are worried about maintaning the abs

Well, I think that most everyone agrees the 35 is pretty clunky.
The 8.25 is a bit better but easy to get tossed in and no more cost.

the autos will be 3.55
manual 4.0 will be 3.07
manual 4bangers are 4.10

this is all granted that nothing has been fooled with and canadian models arent any different :dunno:

GL :thumbup:

Back