• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch noise and sticking

OttawaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Every once and a while after driving for a little bit(maybe 20 minutes) the clutch peddle starts to squeek and gets pretty loud then will stick and i wont be able to get moving. All I usually have to do is pump the peddle a few times and it'll get unstuck and allow me to put it into gear.

Its quite embarrassing when at a traffic light and you cant get moving. Any idea what could cause this?

I had the idea that the rubber seal that the peddle goes through on the firewall could be dried out but i took a close look in there and it looks all good. Would it be inside the transmission you think? I'm worried its the flex plate or throw out bearing.

Is it and internal or external slave? If its and external, why not just take it out of the bellhousing and go work the clutch a few times (if it does the same after idleing) while its hanging there. Then you know if it gets caught up its either your master or slave cylinder. If it doesnt, then Id guess throw out bearing. Just a thought.

Jmeti000

Here's one possibility that you don't want to hear: I had a similar problem, and what it was was that the throwout bearing had eaten into the diaphragm, jamming from time to time. When it jams, the throwout bearing is under tension, burning up as you drive, and as it drags, it eats harder into the diaphragm, a vicious circle. The resulting clutch failure was not a pretty sight. Mine ended with a rather long tow home.

Thank god its my weekend wheeler lol. I'll leave it where it is, try greasing the slave first, if that doesnt cure it I'll drop the trans and take a peak inside.

This all started after it got sunk into a pond. I assumed it was just something got wet and caused it to squeak. I'll take a peak thanks guys.

Is there a way to grease the slave without removing it from the transmission. Everything i've seen online(because i havent had a chance to go out and actually work on it) says its within the bellhousing so I'd rather not drop the transmission if i dont have to.

Back