• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chipped ring gear question

nicksjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I opened up my diff to replace my axle seals and I found 2 chips in my ring gear and rubbing marks on the back side of the locker. (behind the ring gear). What could cause this? Is this minor enough to run it or should it be replaced?
2011-07-03141226.jpg

2011-07-03141157.jpg

2011-07-03141329.jpg

Maybe send a note to Rob over at RWK HAUS SUPPLY see what he has to say?
Some might try to round the sharp corners & edges... not sure about the wear on the cap... shimmed wrong ?
Is the UU profile at the bottom of the teeth normal ??

I'd probably just replace it...

Curt

Last edited:
It looks like normal wear

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Best case scenario is to replace the ring and pinion. If not then check with a powerful magnifying glass for cracks. If you don't find any then use a fine stone to smooth out all of the edges on the chipped teeth. As for the rubbing on the carrier bearing cap, what was rubbing on it? The ring gear bolts? Both problems could possibly be the result of improper gear setup. I can't think of another reason for those 2 issues.

I have a couple nice chips like that from where the much-abused 10-bolt in my old Silverado has eaten a couple sets of spider gears. I just hit the junkyard, grab some more spiders, clean everything up and back together it goes. One day I'll swap in the 14-bolt I've had sitting around forever and those problems will go away.

Best case scenario is to replace the ring and pinion. If not then check with a powerful magnifying glass for cracks. If you don't find any then use a fine stone to smooth out all of the edges on the chipped teeth. As for the rubbing on the carrier bearing cap, what was rubbing on it? The ring gear bolts? Both problems could possibly be the result of improper gear setup. I can't think of another reason for those 2 issues.
The bolts that hold the bearing cap were not tight(on the rubbed side). I believed they backed off a little and caused the carrier to an angle. The back of the carrier rubbed on the bearing cap.

Last edited:
I have a couple nice chips like that from where the much-abused 10-bolt in my old Silverado has eaten a couple sets of spider gears. I just hit the junkyard, grab some more spiders, clean everything up and back together it goes. One day I'll swap in the 14-bolt I've had sitting around forever and those problems will go away.
I don't think its a good idea to use used ring and pinion and it will be a shot in the dark to find a dana 30 with 488s

The bolts that hold the bearing cap were not tight(on the rubbed side). I believed they backed off a little and caused the carrier to an angle. The back of the carrier rubbed on the bearing cap.

The chipped gear might just be a poor quality gear set. Now the bearing cap bolts backing off sounds like an issue with the installation. Although after 2 years it is hard to pin the blame on anyone.

i'm not blaming anyone. i edited what i said after i posted it because thats what it sounded like. i'm not very good with computers so if that post is still out there i'm sorry. i'm actually very happy with the install i had done.

Back