• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud high pitched grind, loss of power...

Alexia

NAXJA Forum User
1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 2WD, AW4, 8.25
I need some help identifying the source of a noise. This has happen twice now and one of those incidents almost got me killed crossing a busy highway. >_< I will press of the accelerator medium to hard, the Jeep moves for a brief moment, then makes loud higher pitched grinding/electrical noise associated with a complete loss of power. After about half a second it stops and the Jeep launches forward back on track. The noise originates from center to rear and does not cause any vibrations up through the body.

My current theory is that it almost sounds like shift solenoid failing since the Jeep would be trying to go from second gear to first gear from the hard acceleration.

The other theory is a differential issue, but I would expect some spectacular failure with that kind of noise from a differential.

Back