• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It is hot... A/C needs help!

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
ok here is the deal... the A/C blows cold but the temp in the Jeep really does not get very cold...

outside temp 98-100F

cabin temps in rear seats 92F

temp in center vent @ idle 64.5F

temp in center vent while moving 56F

it feels cooler in the front seats (but still a little warm)... hotter in the rear

so that the deal... the Jeep is an oven... ideas?

What year is it?

Your outlet temps don't sound too far out of line given the temp outside. You might be a bit low in refrigerant.

However, our Jeeps are a bit of a fishbowl with all that glass. Mine are untinted and internal temps soar above 120 when sitting out in the summer sun. It does take a while to remove all of the built up heat.

I would check the refrigerant line pressure (both high and low). Consider tinting the windows to reduce the external heat source.

A 40-50 degree difference from ambient is about right. Like the man said, an XJ is a solar oven. About the only way to make a big difference is to tint the windows. Actually mirror film works better.

well today is hot...

if I bump the idle a bit (12-1500RPM) I get 20s-lower 30 on the low side and around 250-280 high side

at idle it can be around 35-40ish low side and 220-250 high

earlier I was getting closer to 45 low / 350 high! vented a little off and it seems a little more cool now... I don't know... it's weird this has been the worst A/C I have ever messed with

as for the blend door, that is control by cable if I recall correctly... it seems to work just fine... it goes all the way to the stop...

I could try a heater core bypass and see if that helps... that would quickly rule out the blend door

on my old car if you had the A/C on there where electronically controlled valves that would close to stop the flow through the heater core

I have considered tinting... 5% would help a lot...

I used to be pretty good at tinting windows... but it has been a while...

what is a good brand of tint film?

ALSO... I took the headliner out... does it help insulate the Jeep's roof?

Yes it does. The rear seat passengers are sitting in a broiler.

What color is it?

blue/purple, kinda...

here is a pic

DSCF3350.jpg

When you first start driving, do you open the windows and blow out the stale air?
Air that sits inside a closed car does two things, heats up and also drops in oxygen levels - oxygenated air will cool quicker than high content CO2 air.

I was told today that XJ's have documented issues with the blend doors. Can anyone point to any TSB's?

My AC doesn't get as cold as I think it should either. Actually, the wife's Exploder is like a freezer in comparison.

ALSO... I took the headliner out... does it help insulate the Jeep's roof?

Yeah...put your bare hand on the outside of your BBQ (Disclaimer, I didn't tell you to do this, hopefully you can IMAGINE it)...that's like having no headliner.

When you first start driving, do you open the windows and blow out the stale air?

No sense in trying to cool 120F+ air. My XJ sits in the sun all day, it gets hotter than....I have to roll the windows down just to get down to 100 or so.

And by the way mine is white, still gets hotter than &%#$.

Air that sits inside a closed car does two things, heats up and also drops in oxygen levels - oxygenated air will cool quicker than high content CO2 air.

You'll need to provide a citation for your "oxygenation" claim.

Things I have found about Jeeps in hot weather.

1. These late model Cherokees have one of the BEST ac systems I have ever owned. two days ago, it was 101, full sun on asphalt. The AC was blowing a measured 38 degrees.

2. They do have blend door issues. I have had to fix 2 of the 5 I have owned. the door "hinges" wear, the door drags agains the HVAC box and it won't open or close all the way.

3. Removing the headliner/carpet makes huge difference in temp. Maybe paint the roof white? Maybe just put a headliner back in it covered in something off road friendly, like Vinyl.

Things I have found about Jeeps in hot weather.

1. These late model Cherokees have one of the BEST ac systems I have ever owned. two days ago, it was 101, full sun on asphalt. The AC was blowing a measured 38 degrees.

2. They do have blend door issues. I have had to fix 2 of the 5 I have owned. the door "hinges" wear, the door drags agains the HVAC box and it won't open or close all the way.

3. Removing the headliner/carpet makes huge difference in temp. Maybe paint the roof white? Maybe just put a headliner back in it covered in something off road friendly, like Vinyl.

This.
Mine is white with tinted windows. Even without carpet (but with headliner) my AC rocks.
You ought to put the headliner back in & tint your windows, see how it goes from there. Assuming your AC is vacuumed & re charged correctly, *then* we start diagnosing issues.

You could try getting one of those recharge kits from a parts store. Mine was like that and i recharged it and now it is like sitting in a refrigerator. Does your ac clutch kick in and out a lot?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Back