• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion nut stripped what do I do?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
My pinion nut stripped while i was setting up my gears now it is stuck on the pinion, and i cant get it off. Any ideas on how to get it off without messing up the pinion more than it probably already is? and if the pinion is messed up to bad is there anything i can do. or am I just screwed:confused1

If the nut is stripped, the pinion is no doubt fubar'd. Try and back the nut all the way off, then look at the threads. If you can't get the nut off, it's time to order a new set of gears and an install kit and get out the torch.

Jon and I had to cut a pinion on a D35 back in the day. The nut simply would not budge no matter what we did.

If you put that much torque on a pinion nut and stripped it, I would be seriously worried about the dents you most likely put in the pinion bearings.

Heat up the nut...
Hold your left foot 3in off the ground and bite your tongue.

What part of utah are your in?

Northern utah. about 60 miles past salt lake. I was setting up my gears and i was taking off the nut, when it suddenly got hard to back off. so i went forward and back a few times, then gave it one good twist back off and it stripped the nut and now its stuck on the pinion. suck because they were pretty much brand new gears. i was just readjusting the pinion depth.

I had a similar issure when doing my gears, the first time I started the nut I threaded it on by hand turned down untill it was tight so i put the ratchet on to continue turns out it was cross threaded! I ended up being able to use a thread file to clean them up and only messed up the first 2 threads! I got very lucky, I know I wont make that mistake again!

Back