• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Incorrect temp readings...

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
I've been getting mixed opinions, maybe it doesn't really make a difference but after searching I haven't found much on my issue so why not ask.

After swapping engines to my 99 I lost the sensor on the back of the head for my temp readings. I could of drilled the head and tapped it when i had the engine all apart but one thing led to another and I just didn't get to it. So I put the sensor in my T-stat housing like so..

78544784.jpg

My question is, would this location make the gauge read any hotter than it would if it were on the back of the cylinder head? It's a brand new cooling system and it seems to run a tad hot. I'm just not sure if my new sensor location is helping or hindering me.

If anything it would read cooler.I have appx a 15* temp difference between the temp the comp sees and the temp sensor for the gauge at the back of the head.
If you have a 99XJ the gauge and the comp get the signal from the sensor in the T-stat housing.

Sorry Wayne I forgot to mention that the 99 engine now resides in my 91XJ thus why I needed the second sensor. But if your saying it should show it running cooler than I might do some more trouble shooting tonight.

I have added a second gauge to mine in that same location and mine also reads 10-15 degrees cooler. I'm not sure if it's just the difference in the gauges, or the back of the head is hotter... I'm leaning towards the latter.

Back