• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My NWFEST Recap

Sideshow

NAXJA Forum User
We showed up Thursday night around 7:00 to be greeted by TORX and handed some 4LockedFilms DVD's. We quickly got firewood and started the fireside BSing with the Raddesigns crew Rory and Rick.

Friday started with the EPIC run departing around 9:00am followed shortly after by a motivational speech by Dan Merrick of the Forest Service. We eventually started up Kaner sometime around 10:30 I believe to find downed trees blocking our path:

IMG_0828.jpg

I think we removed about 5-6 trees from the trail during the Epic Run at the request of the Forest Service. I got stuck just past the first bridge on Kaner which took us more than an hour to get me out. I'm simply amazed at how much fun it can be when you're surrounded by experienced wheelers. Other than driving, I don't think I had to do a thing except explain how to operate my hydraulic winch a few times, locate shovels and my hi-lift.

After the first bridge crossing came Aardvark Hill where all of us made it up without issue. We crossed a few more bridges and Joe lost a u-joint cap which provided a nice break for lunch. I also made a healthy blood donation to the mosquito population as they were fairly bad.

IMG_0835.jpg

Then another bridge/watercrossing:

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABiIw_HDQo

BTW before captain obvious shows up regarding the video above, the bridge is mostly impassable and the forest service is aware of this. There are exposed nail-heads on the bridge and the ramp up to it is completely missing. Throughout our EPIC run we tried to make the least environmentally damaging decision.

We made our way up to Lily Pond with out issue:

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Last edited:
After Lily Pond, Rory took a quick scout of the String Trail and reported snow so we headed to Moon Rocks and watched Chris get crazy on the Rocks. This guy is fearless!!!

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

2nd try:
IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

This place is so gorgeous!
IMG_0882.jpg

We then went down upper woodpecker to ultimately get stuck in snow on lower woodpecker I believe. After much assistance from the EPIC gang I was unstuck and we made the 1.5 hour trek back to camp.

On day 2 a small group of us took the same path up Kaner but headed towards Moon Rocks instead. AFter a little snow:

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Good Times! We had awesome communication both days. Thanks for letting me lead, the dust was much better :laugh3:.

Thanks Dustin, that means a lot coming from you.

Rich, as always it was a pleasure wheelin with you! I couldnt have picked a better group to hit the trails with this weekend! I look forward to future trips! I will get my pictures up later this weekend

Rich, as always it was a pleasure wheelin with you! I couldnt have picked a better group to hit the trails with this weekend! I look forward to future trips! I will get my pictures up later this weekend

Awesome job with the photos. My crew had a great time. Wheel together again with out question.

Thanks, I had a great time too. I look forward to future trips with you guys as well!

Im going back this saturday. :moon: :D

Back