• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any changes in the head gasket?

Shorty

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
If I were to put a 0331 head from a 2004 TJ (TUPY casting) onto a 2001 XJ, should I be concerned with the factory change to a "multi-layer steel" head gasket in 2004? I'm wanting to save my buddy a few bucks if possible.

I can't see any changes in the block surface, and the gaskets appear to have all of the same holes..... any idea if the surface finish changed and requires one gasket or the other?

I helped a buddy with a TJ and it didn't look any different than the XJ gasket. Can you find a picture online and compare the new gasket to an older version?

the '01 called for a regular compressible head gasket like most of the 4.0L engines I've seen

In '04 a bunch of things changed including the use of a multi-layer steel head gasket (three thin steel sheets)

I just can't find any specs that would tell me if the machined surfaces of the block and head were/should be machined to the same roughness or if it changed for the different sealing materials. I'm replacing this as a favor for a friend who doesn't have any "extra money" and would like to save $70.00 if the older style gasket is acceptable on the newer surface.

Back