• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Class 3 hitch? Want it to be tucked right under bumper!

scottie_p

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Reese Universal-Fit Class 3 hitch, it it hangs down WAY too low.
Which brand or model tucks right under the bumper?
Any thoughts!

the oem one? i dont see a reason to buy a generic model, when theres soooo many oem hitch's at the junkyards / in our parts sheds.

Curt, Hidden Hitch, OEM, Napa's (Valley). Be sure to get nut strips.
Do not get a universal style hitch.

Last edited:
Another option, replace the bumper with a bumper that has the hitch built in already.

Flipped OEM hitch

backyard0003.jpg

How hard is it to get the hitch pin in and out? Do you have any other pictures showing how you did this?

Pulled this from his project log.

...Also didn't like how the new hitch was so far down on the back of the Jeep so I did a simple flip and cut the bumper some.
backyard0003.jpg

And later this image shows a bit more.

It looks like he cut the hitch tube off the bottom of the lateral bar, and rewelded it on top. From the position of the safety chain tabs, it will be about even with the bottom of the stock bumper, just a bit of trimming and the hooks can go up into the bumper and drop into their holes.

I have been looking for an excuse to drop my hitch and blast/POR 15 the thing... I think we have the winner! Thank you Eric!

Last edited:
Looking at things a bit closer, it may be wiser if you grind the welds at the ends of your lateral bar and flip that whole thing over. this would ensure the hitch tube was properly centered and square to the jeep. This of course wouldn't work if your lateral bar is rosette welded like mine.

Back on topic...

I have an old rusty drawtite which hides about half of the lateral bar with the the rear bumper.

I have a U-Haul hitch, and it hangs a bit, but I like smacking that a lot more than smacking my gastank, bumper, or exhaust, even they still hit stuff occasionally. I wonder If I can flip mine...

dsc00039km.jpg

You can see it in this pic, it hangs around 4 inches under the bumper, but it can take a heck of beating without budging or bending. I'm going to be fabbing a rear bumper at some point, so I'll just make one built in, I have the metal for it.

Find a local u pull auto junkyard. Most of them have a few cherokees with hitches on them and you can wander around and pick out which one you like the best. I've gotten two xj hitches that way and paid no more than $20 for either of them. As has been said above, make sure you get the nutstrips (2 for the early xj's, drivers side for 97+).

Back