• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing a Bent Tie Rod from Currie

josefxj97

NAXJA Forum User
Last Thursday I purchased and installed a brand new Currie Currect-Lync HD steering setup for my '97 XJ. On Saturday I went on a trail run that lasted 18 hours and covered 50 miles. During that run I bent the tie rod. Its not bad but its is noticeable, especially when driving on the street. It also looks to be bent in 2 different directions, as it sits in the jeep, its bent up and back(toward the diff).
I cant be the only one to do this, so my question is, How should I repair it? Since its made out of solid material, straightening it should work. Can I re-bend it straight again and call it good? Or after making it straight again, should I sleeve it with some tubing to help stiffen it up?
Just wondering what others have done before?

If it's straight enough to not interfere with anything I would leave it and fix your alignment. My tie rod from JKS for my WJ steering bent after a couple runs and I haven't touched it since (2 years).

I run mine with a bend and most people I know do the same with the currie setup. I had to replace it once when the bend was to much to adjust the alignment. Currie sounded surprised it bend but told me it was made from solid chromolly and could be bend back to shape in a press with out any loss of strength.

Josh

I run mine with a bend and most people I know do the same with the currie setup. I had to replace it once when the bend was to much to adjust the alignment. Currie sounded surprised it bend but told me it was made from solid chromolly and could be bend back to shape in a press with out any loss of strength.

Josh

Thats what I have heard.

Yup, toss it in a press and bend it back. Mine has been bent for quite some time now, I just keep adjusting the alignment to compensate.

You can also get a goferit insert and flip the tie rod, which puts it really high up and out of the way. I recommend it.

Yup, toss it in a press and bend it back. Mine has been bent for quite some time now, I just keep adjusting the alignment to compensate.

You can also get a goferit insert and flip the tie rod, which puts it really high up and out of the way. I recommend it.

Any problems with rubbing or hitting the coil bucket or the sway bar bracket?

coat hanger's are solid too... doesnt mean you can bend and unbend them all day long.

What kind of shirts do you wear that require a 1.5" solid chromoly coat hanger?

Unless this dude bent his tie rod in a complete 180, your argument makes no sense. If the tie rod is bent a few degrees from straight like mine is, I'm willing to bet you could bend and unbend it forever without any sort of metal fatigue.

Any problems with rubbing or hitting the coil bucket or the sway bar bracket?

Yes, but my axle is pushed forward 1.5-2" so the steering hits everthing. I'm betting with a stock setup, you'd probably have to relocate the sway bar bracket, but the coil buckets would be fine.

Back