• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack as light bar?

Survivalist45

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering how hard it would be... and if it would be durable enough to handle the weight of lights.

I want to drill holes in one of my stock roof racks and make it a light bar.

Could this be done, and it not wobble or break off?

(I would be running 4 KC Daylighters)

I did this to my first Jeep. At speed the wind would push the lights up using the bar as a pivot point. It would fine if your doing it for looks but functionality mine was a fail. Lots of vibration came through the bar as well. That cross bar just is not sturdy enough to do it in my opinion. YMMV

I used to have 3 of the cheap 100w lights mounted on my '99. Didn't have a problem with it but I'm not racing, and they're illegal to use on the street. Never had a issue with weight, considering the weight that bar can take I can't imagine it being an issue.

They don't light up directly in front of the jeep either because the roof shadows it. I put 2 tractor lights on the bumper to get right in front and to the sides.

For wiring I had the relay on the top of the firewall, and ran a 10ga wire out the corner of the hood and up the pillar, just used some little clips and self tappers. The ground can just be a self tapper into the roof, or maybe tie it into on of the screws holding down the rails for the rack. The bar itself won't work.

Best picture of it I could find, I haven't had them mounted there for about 3 years.

IMG_7327_cropped-1.jpg

Back