• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive Shaft Question

tango41

NAXJA Forum User
Evening all,

Got a question about a drive shaft problem that cropped up. I drive a 2000 XJ, 6cyl, 4x4, that I have had sine it came off the line. I have always taken good care of her... but I really began modifying the Jeep this year (2011) and its now running a 4.5 in Rubicon Ex lift and 31s. I ordered a Tom Woods shaft through a local (Maryland) drive line shop along with a SYE and was happy with the work while I was driving around town and on weekend trips to the back country in West Virginia and Virginia.

Recently, I had to road trip down to Florida in the XJ and it turns out that the CV in the Tom Woods Shaft burned up on the trip down. I know that its supposed to be lubed about every 3000 miles, but the whole setup had all of about 3000 miles on it when the problem came up, probably near Atlanta (mistake... I didn't know what a bad u-joint/failing CV sounded like).

I am wondering if I should have brought the grease gun along... or if something else might have gone wrong.

i had an issue with the plug coming out and spewing grease everywhere. Then, when Woods sent a replacement, it showed up with the plug blown out and what looked like a grease nuke inside the packaging. Woods took care of it no prob. Woods rep told me they dont spot weld because of balance issues. Maybe the plug crapped the grease out? I am running the XB type, in 2000 XJ 4.5" Clayton

What SYE kit did you use?

How do you know if the CV burns up? I have never heard of that. Ive got my CV shaft in the rear for about 4000 miles now and never once had to grease it. Its not a Tom woods but do you still have to do this with other CV shafts? If so I may have to have mine checked

Back