• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Shock Mount

XJCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Seeking advice: Stock 9 XJ - 4.0 = AW4 = NP231 = D30, C8.25.
So Saturday I had put new leaf springs, shackles, and ubolts under it as I was tired of the severe sag it had. So last night I was on my way back from the store and heard a constant thump which drove me nuts as its a well maintained vehicle. In the dark I crawled under and found that the rear passenger side shock had fallen off of the axle mount. I figured no big deal I probably did something stupid and forgot to put the washer in front of the bushing and behind the nut. Well, took my 97 to work cuz I didn't want to deal with it at the time. Came home from work and upon inspection the tip of the "bolt" on the mount where the nut appears to have snapped off leaving the sleeve seized to the "bolt" and the shock free floating from the upper mounts.
My question is this: What is my best option for going about fixing? Cut off bolt drill out the remains and put a new bolt in there? Go to the junkyard and cut a mount off another axle? Just get a whole axle and be done with it? I have searched page after page looking for a place that sells just the shock mount and the only thing I have really come up with is the product like JKS sell where it actually moves the shock further up on the axle.
Any help or information or advice you guys/gals can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have fixed 2 of these by cutting off and grinding flat the old stud, drilling for a bolt, and welding the bolt in place. You may need a bushing/sleeve to bring the bolt to the correct diameter for a tight fit in the shock bushing.

Some of the larger chain store type auto parts stores (Advance, IdiotZone) have a section of HELP brand parts for fixing common problems. HELP makes a shock stud repair kit, just Google you should find it.

Last edited:
The drilling is moderately difficult due the the depth, the diameter of the hole, and the need to drill straight.

I used a 1/2" electric drill, rent one if you have to, and use top quality drill bits. A $6.99 drill bit set isn't going to work. Google split point drill and find picture examples, they work the best in metal.

Drill in steps, a small pilot hole, a medium hole and then drill to size. Use oil to keep the drill bits cool. When you are drilling correctly the chips will curl up and look like little sixes and nines 6, 9.

Got her all fixed up! Stopped at the auto parts store after work grabbed the stud repair kit started at 530 and goofed around with the kids a little in between so I wouldn't get frustrated and finished putting tools away at 830! Was easy grinding off the exposed stud and making it smooth. Drilling on the other hand forgot to grab one from work so I attempted to use my cordless and got the 1/8" hole drilled and half way through the next size and the battery was done for. Called a buddy and he ran his electric drill over, that took no time at all. I used tap free to keep the bits cool and yes the shavings were curly. Just hope that all went as smooth as I think it did and I won't have any problems for a while. Thanks for the helpful info on everything much appreciated!!!

Back