• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I tell if a XJ is re-geared short of ripping it apart?

SpencerKemp

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm looking at this XJ with 31's but the lady is unsure if it's re-geared... is there any way to tell if it's re-geared with out ripping the axels open.

The speedo gear won't tell you anything about if it's been regeared or not like the tire spin method will. With it being on 31's it's highly unlikely to have been regeared if it had 3.55's in it.

tire spin trick never works for me. if your looking to buy it... id want to take a look at the diffs anyway. you never know what youll find. offer to refill it and take a drain pan.

id be willing to bet its not geared with only 31s. and considering the person doesnt know... if it doesnt have much of an OD for an automatic, or 5th gear in a stock, id bet its stock ratio.

I don't have it on hand, but there is a chart floating around that tells you about what RPM you should be running with a certain size tire and gear ratio.

It should give you a good ballpark.

Search regearing and see if you can find it.

Spin a tire, who can't count to 3.5 or maybe 4.1 ?

Ya'll are giving a little bit of bad...or at least partial advice here.

You have to make sure BOTH tires are spinning together. If you spin one tire it won't give you an accurate count because the spider gears are counteracting what you are trying to do.

Jack it up, put it in netural, make sure both tires spin at exactly the same speed (this may require a helping hand)

If you spin the tire(S once and get 3.5 turns on the pinion, you have 3.55 gears. Spin them once and get 4 turns on the pinion, you have 4:11 gears. One turn and 4.5 on the pinion...4:55 gearing and so on.

It's far from being a for sure thing. Jacking it up and spinning the tire is a lot easier and more likely to give you an accurate idea.

How is it not a sure thing? It's another gear in the drivetrain. xcm's not going to be able to spin both tires with his stubby troll arms so this is just another way of checking.

Ya'll are giving a little bit of bad...or at least partial advice here.

You have to make sure BOTH tires are spinning together. If you spin one tire it won't give you an accurate count because the spider gears are counteracting what you are trying to do.

Jack it up, put it in netural, make sure both tires spin at exactly the same speed (this may require a helping hand)

If you spin the tire(S once and get 3.5 turns on the pinion, you have 3.55 gears. Spin them once and get 4 turns on the pinion, you have 4:11 gears. One turn and 4.5 on the pinion...4:55 gearing and so on.

Right. Best way.

How is it not a sure thing? It's another gear in the drivetrain. xcm's not going to be able to spin both tires with his stubby troll arms so this is just another way of checking.

So if the speedometer's 4 mph off, what gearing does it have? If it's 2 mph off, which gearing? 7 mph off, which gearing? Too complicated. People regear without touching the speedo gear too.

Just spin both tires and count the driveshaft revolutions. Simple.

Do you know off hand how many teeth a 4.0 AX5 came with? How about an AW4? Did the NV3500 have a different tooth count from the Peugeot? There's at least three different stock tooth counts out there. That means there's at least that many different gears for each axle ratio as well. Jack it up and spin it and no matter what the setup, you know the answer.

So if the speedometer's 4 mph off, what gearing does it have? If it's 2 mph off, which gearing? 7 mph off, which gearing? Too complicated. People regear without touching the speedo gear too.

Just spin both tires and count the driveshaft revolutions. Simple.

Whoa, I said verify speedo correctness. You could also work the algebra backwards to come up with the gearing but I'm not gonna hold yer dick through all that. We are talking about a 5-tooth difference between 3.55 and 4.10.

Do you know off hand how many teeth a 4.0 AX5 came with? How about an AW4? Did the NV3500 have a different tooth count from the Peugeot? There's at least three different stock tooth counts out there. That means there's at least that many different gears for each axle ratio as well. Jack it up and spin it and no matter what the setup, you know the answer.

Go unplug your speedo gear and see if you can repeat this back to me without turning red in the face...:heart:

Whoa, I said verify speedo correctness. You could also work the algebra backwards to come up with the gearing but I'm not gonna hold yer dick through all that. We are talking about a 5-tooth difference between 3.55 and 4.10.

Go unplug your speedo gear and see if you can repeat this back to me without turning red in the face...:heart:
Good logical response.

WTF am I supposed to do with Algebra ?

What effin good is Algebra if the axle is under a wrecked Jeep, or not under any Jeep at all ?

Just count with one hand, while you spin a tire with the other. This works everytime. I might be stoopid, but I don't need math to tell the difference between 3.5, 4, or 4.5.

Back