• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock retractable hood light wiring?

AdamGBabcock

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, sorry to bother with such a simple question but I just got a 1989 Laredo and it has the factory light thing under the hood. I have a keen ability to break down at night so any extra lighting helps. The power wire has been seperated at the clip and I can't find the lower end. I know it's simple to run a wire directly from the battery but keeping things clean is nice. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me track this wiring down and if you happen to feel the urge to throw a pic or two up, I wouldn't object =)

Thanks,
Adam

The wiring for the light is probably in there, it was on my XJ AND MJ (and the MJ doesn't have a light). Keep digging.

It is likely down around the blower motor in the engine bay. Somewhere within a circle of 6 or 8 inches either way. Down by the vacuum manifold, distributor/coil, under the coolant bottle, just one wire with a plug, that's it.

It could also be stuffed in to a group of wires in that area or along the firewall.

I know when I break down I always grab a flashlight and unplug the underhood light so I don't drain the battery.
Good Luck though...I know it's nice to have everything working!

Good point... it usually does take a while to get things back up and going. I like the magnetic part about it though haha. Maybe I'll just fine a magnetic flashlight =)

A note from DJ
On my ‘88 I have Fusible Links attached to the starter solenoid. One of the green ones has two larger red wires leaving it and going into a large bundle of wires that are attached to the passenger side fender well.
There is also a smaller red wire that goes up to my retractable trouble light. I don’t know about the ‘89s

Back