• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about long arm upgrade?

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if i should go with the serious offroad products long arm upgrade? or the iron rock offroad long arm upgrade? or should i even go with the y link idea?

I got the iron rock kit, had it for about a year and a half with no problems. seems to be good. everyone will trash on it cause of the bolt that is on the upper control arm on the axle side. but i have had no problems with it. just ordered serious offroad steering, great guys to work with. no experiance with their long arms though.

only thing i will say (and it applies to both kits i believe) is the PITA to do any tcase/tranny work as you have to drop the arms to do anything.....

May not be a big deal to you, and maybe you dont know if it would be. just throwing that info out there....

i would take franks stuff over IRO anyday. ya people bash on everyhting. but look who is doing the bashing. the guys beating the crap out of their stuff - so they prolly know whats up

it also depends on amount of lift and every other thing considered on your rig and about what you want to achieve

few Very key points.

Have you Ever seen a Y link style suspension design on ANY purpose built rig, or any rig that had unlimited funds or not class restricted? That even tells the most basic of mechanical minded people something?

And why the hell would you Buy a lift that requires you to drop your front suspension to do any transfer case work or tranny mount replacement, etc. Turns a basic job into a multi hour job.

Do your self a favor and at least do a Rock Krawler true 3 or 4 link with track bar design, lift.

You DO NOT have to drop my crossmember to work on the t-case. An extension, a universal (swivel) socket and you can seperate the case halves.

How do you do that? Specifically the bolt on the bottom 4o'clock corner by exhaust????

And just how often are you dropping your t-case? How often are you tearing into it at all?
You never know. Look at the situation with Gixxers4life. We pulled that tcase 4 times in a matter of a month.

If you are pulling the case four times in a month, shit is XXXXed up anyway and your experience doesn't count.

My longarms are mounted to the transmission crossmember and I am happy with it, even when I had to drop the crossmember to upgrade my transfer case.

Have you considered drop brackets?

What I am saying is you never know what is gonna happen you are wheeling. The case was a fresh rebuild and went bad on the first trail it was on. Bone dry. How were we to know? (Owner had case rebuilt elsewhere) then after putting it back in was still bad so had to swap in another case. Then it got sye.
How does that not count. You have to plan for the worst, not hope you never have to do it - thats asking for trouble

I have removed my transfer case 3 times in the last week, and haven't had the need to remove my crossmember at all.

The bolt heads are on the back side of the case and as I said earlier...
Extension(s) and a swivel socket is all that's needed.

If a guy has a difficult time getting the socket on the lowest bolt, they can simply raise the tranny a little.

Yes the cross member has to be dropped to remove the t-case....not a big deal. Chaulk the front tires and drop the cross member.

Im not attackin any products here. I am saying he needs to consider that as a possiblity as a trail repair issue. Sorry I wont give and heads up for things to consider based on experience. what the XXXX was i thinking :doh:

Planning for the worst is a great idea, but how many people carry a spare locker?
Spare steering knuckles?
Enough wire to rebuild an engine harness after an engine fire.
A full set of spare alloy shafts?
A 4 post lift?

To the OP,
Whether you buy mine or anyone else's, I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your upgrade and will gladly answer any questions you have.

You should have een thinking about putting fluid in a freshly rebuilt t-case, or putting in a fixed yoke kit before installing t-cases three different times.

the fluid was supposed to be put in the by the rebuilder. the sye was done after he tore up a few stock shafts....

heaven forbid people upgrade progressively :doh:

Really? you two are ridiculous.... haha... no wonder people on here do so much stupid s**t. they are told to!!!!

Sorry, it sounded like you guys had the t-case rebuilt then installed it yourselves. If you installed it yourselves then would have had to add the fluid yourself.

Don't know if the iro kit mounts differently on an xj, but I just installed 1 on the wife's wj, and there are 8 bolts holding each side. The 4 through the cross member, and 4 you drill in front, and put boltstrips inside the uniframe. Drop the crossmember and the front suspension is still attached. Not to be an ass, but t-case out 4 times in a month, and upgrading progressively are 2 different things.

So...

I casually know Serious Offroad (FrankZ) and I can tell you that he was the only person that offered to resolve my LA problems when they happened. And I can also tell you that once I have the cash on hand, I'll have Frank build me a new set of arms and a new crossmember. He is a stand up guy and is to be trusted. I went with what I have as I wanted to keep four links. If you are looking for a radius style LA setup, get ahold of Frank you will not be disappointed.

Just my .02

Back