• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel size question

amorth

NAXJA Forum User
I've been researching this topic for awhile now, but what I've found hasn't really answered my question. So here I am.

I have a 2000 Sport that is my DD. I am putting a 3" lift on within the next few weeks and was looking at upgrading my Ecco (15") wheels to a 2006 Rubicon Moab wheels (16"). I know 31" tires are somewhat the max size to put on the Eccos, but if I go with the Moab wheels, logic says that I need to go with a 30" tire to fit with my lift (I don't want to do any trimming if I don't have to). Am I correct with this thought? If I go with these new wheels, are there any issues I may experience that I may not know about? Can you recommend a tire size (in metric format) that would look good with these so that it doesn't look like I just stuffed something in the wheels wells?

Thanks!

245/75-16 is the stock Moab tire size for TJ Rubicon, and it works pretty well on Cherokee's with 2-3" lift.

For example, BFG All Terrains 31x10.5 r15 (brand new) measure about 30.5", 245/75-16 All Terrains also measure 30.5".

Found this in less than a minute searching:

dsc00229bj.jpg

dsc00302w.jpg

I have the RE 3.5" super ride and 245/75 R16 Treadwrights (~31")

Last edited:
I have a 2000 Sport that is my DD. I am putting a 3" lift on within the next few weeks and was looking at upgrading my Ecco (15") wheels to a 2006 Rubicon Moab wheels (16"). I know 31" tires are somewhat the max size to put on the Eccos, but if I go with the Moab wheels, logic says that I need to go with a 30" tire to fit with my lift

I don't follow. 31" is the diameter. You can have a 31" tire with a 20" hole in the middle. It is still a 31" tire, it just has a shorter sidewall. Logic says if the maximum diameter for a tire on a 15" wheel is 31", the maximum diameter for a tire on a 16" wheel is 31"...right?

My first lift was 3" with 245/75 16 BFG AT's on Moabs on my 2000 Sport (coincidence?) At full stuff and about 3/4 lock, you will rub the front plastic end caps a smidge, not even enough to blue the plastic. No rub for the rear, even with the factory bumpstops. 245/75 16 = 30.5 x9.6

Back