• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Other engines that fit 97 4.0 cherokee? swap

jrouse5

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 cherokee 4.0 4x4 that has some major issues. I am going to replace the engine. I have been looking for a interchange thread but can't find one. So does anyone know what year model engines will fit into this? I have found a 95 grand cherokee 4.0. Will that work? and will it have the same power?

Any 1991-2001 XJ Cherokee block will interchange. ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L blocks will also interchange with XJ's. Re-use and install any original sensors, intake/exhaust, or ignition/distributor as needed.

Ok. One thing i noticed while looking for an engine, is that the bodys for the grand cherokees changed somewhere like 99-03. Will these engines work, or did they change?

99+ Grand Cherokee and Wrangler use a different engine layout called PowerTech that is not interchangeable with your XJ accessories and parts. You would essentially have to swap the entire engine and all of the accessories, and also do some custom fabrication.

I found a 97 Grand Cherokee for $500 with motor trans and tcase. What would have to be done to make that work? Just the engine at the moment, but if i needed it would the transmission and tcase work in the Cherokee i have?

The transmission from the Grand Cherokee is completely different and not compatible with the transmission computer you have now, so you would need to do a bunch of custom wiring and fabrication work to make it fit. It's a piece of junk compared to the AW4 anyway so you'd be stupid to do all of that work. The transfer cases are bad too.

Why don't you just go buy an XJ engine? They made millions of them

Well, I'm having trouble finding a good one or a junk cherokee. Everybody wants my arm and your leg for an engine around here. I'm having trouble making it ok in my mind to give 600. for engines that have 170K on them.

99+ Grand Cherokee and Wrangler use a different engine layout called PowerTech that is not interchangeable with your XJ accessories and parts

The name PowerTech has nothing to do with it. They started naming all their late engines that. The 4.0l in my XJ is called a PowerTech. However, the name really applies to the 4.7L V8 and 3.7L V6.

Last edited:
The transfer cases are bad too.

Won't argue the point of the Chryco transmissions on the ZJs, but the only transfer case that is considered "bad" on the ZJs would be the 249's because the VC likes to crap out leaving you with a vehicle that feels like it's in 4WD-Lo when you make tight turns.

But since it's a 97 ZJ with 4.0L and auto trans, there's a good chance that it's a 242 (Selec-Trac), which I wouldn't consider a "bad" transfer case at all, depending on how the rig was being used.

Back