• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche start... then start again?

drcomanche

NAXJA Forum User
The Comanche is acting weird lately. And by that I mean, when I go to start it, it wont start right off the bat. I have to turn the key to power on, let the fuel pump kick a bit, then turn it off. Then repeat twice more and it will start no problem.

Since I dont have much experience with Comanches or jeeps for that matter, I was wondering what you guys thought was the issue. Is it the pump going bad or is it clogged lines? Or possibly something else?

I'm having the same issue with my 89. I suspect the ignition switch is bad because I only get fuel pressure in the "run" position and not in the "crank" position.

I have to prime it like you are then when I crank it it will start but only after releasing the key to the "run" position.

I'll report back with what i find when I replace the switch this week.

could the fuel pressure regulator be the cause? i have some what the same thing. at first it cranks a few times then fires up, turn it off, crank it back over and it fires right up. ive heard the the regulator can slowly go bad.

could the fuel pressure regulator be the cause? i have some what the same thing. at first it cranks a few times then fires up, turn it off, crank it back over and it fires right up. ive heard the the regulator can slowly go bad.

A fuel pressure test will verify this. Anything else is pure speculation. Pull the vacuum hose off your fuel pressure regulator and see if there's gas i the hose. If so, pressure reg is bad for sure.

Back