• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1800 mile trip next week. Does this call for 15w50?

bmpweXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Moving from Colorado to New York City in about a week. Gonna be towing a 4x8 Uhaul trailer with the XJ. Specs listed below.

Since it's gonna be VERY warm and I need to change oil anyway, souls I step up to 15w50?

10w-40 is fine, 15w-50 wouldn't hurt anything.

Buy and install a transmission cooler if your Cherokee doesn't have one. This would be more important than the weight of your oil.

If the XJ is in a good/reasonable state of repair you should not have no problems. In the past I have driven from Dallas,TX to Waterbury CT and from Miami FL to DesMoines, IA with never a mishap. I never pulled a trailor so that may load the 4.0L and the AW4 a bit more. However, at that time I had 30" tires and 3.55 gears. I have been using 15-50 Amsoil since 2004 and change it between 12,000 and 14,000 miles. I second the oil cooler for the AW4.

Yep, got a cooler for when I drove Ft. Worth to Denver on 33s and 3.55 gears.

Looks like I'll stick to the 15w40 RotellaT.

Back