• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket coolant temp sensor?

jchevy

NAXJA Forum User
Im going fully buggy with my cherokee and going to be running aftermarket gauges. Does my computer need the coolant temp sensor in the t-stat housing? How/Where can I hook up an aftermarket coolant temp sensor?

91+ (I'm supposing since u have a sensor in the tstat housing) That sensor sends info to the computer which gives resistance and also tells the computer when to switch the efan on. So, I guess its important. I'm not sure if theres another sensor for you gauge

I have a Renix so I have a temp sensor in the block and one in the head which sends to the gauge. I beleive you also have one in the block so I'm not sure where this is going now but were getting somewhere

It is a 93. In a google search it looks like the sensor in the rear of the head is used for the gage. Can anyone verify that?

Yup. Sensor in the rear of the head is for the dash only. Idiot lights have a simple go/no-go sender, full gauge panels have a ranging sensor. The ECM reads temp from a sensor at the front.

Edit: I have a 94. Your 93 should be darned near identical.

Back