• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE track bar question

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
just thinking out loud here...

i currently have a RE track bar (1600) that runs a heim at the stock mount. while the bar is more than enough, my stock mount has wallowed out and i want to move to a double sheer setup. instead of replacing the bar completely i was wondering if it was possible to reuse this track bar and simply buy a double sheer bracket.

what would it take? i see companies like froelich using heims on their track bar, including frame side. so why not? :dunno:

I run an RE 1600 TB with a Clayton no drop Frame side bracket.

the only difference is that not many companies make the brackets for a 2" mounting width, most make them 2.5" for a JJ or the like, so you will have to use a spacer of sorts, I used a couple of washers

IMGP4985.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP4994.jpg

I have also recently replaced the RE Heim with a ruffstuff unit because it was worn.

rockclimber - thats the exact bracket i was looking at because it advertises specifically the same drop as stock. what lift do you have or more specifically, what height are you at? looks to be RE. and your almost tapped out on adjustability of the track bar. also... was the ruff stuff heim plug and play?

Just replaced my RE joint on my 1600 also a few days ago....the RuffStuff joint is definitely a direct replacement. 3/4" LH thread.

To the OP: I am in the same position as you are; wallowed out hole and need a new bracket. Replaced the joint but it only made the groaning/creaking/cracking worse. Do you also have these symptoms?

thanks bdahlg,
i went and measured and was fairly confident it was a 3/4 heim. i have pops and creaks. as rockclimber said and from what ive gathered from reading, most aftermarket brackets are 2.5" wide to accept a JJ while a standard misalignment spacers is 2" the distance could be made up with washers. BUUUUTTTTTT... ruffstuff also offers a "wide" misalignment spacer that measures 2 5/8". im sure it could be used, 30 seconds with a bench grinder and itll fit. 1/8" of an inch isnt a lot of material.

my problem is this... i run a RE 4.5" coil and right now my track bar doesnt have a ton of adjustability/compression left. clayton offers a double sheer bracket that advertises zero drop compared to stock. IRO also offers a drop that advertises 3/4" of a drop at a very cheap price. i think those would be the best options.

sorry... I was out all day.

I sit at about 4" of lift using 3.5" RE springs.

the replacement heim is a 3/4" ruffstuff LH thread and his 3/5" to 5/8" misalignment spacers. I only have about 3 or 4 rotations left in my TB before it will be all the way in, just enough to fit the jam nut really.

This is exactly what I've been thinking about doing with my RE1600 track bar - just didn't know how much trouble it would be.

I too have creaking noises after each wheeling trip so I re-tighten the bolt and it quits for awhile, but the hole is getting wallowed out more all the time.

I'm also running RE 3.5" springs with a 3/4" spacer to level it. My track bar is adjusted all the way in also - seems to be the norm with this setup.

Glad to see this thread - now I don't have to figure it out myself. Thanks.

following up on this...

i picked up a RE track bar mount which has a 2" inside mount, and a new heim from ruff stuff.

new heim with more misalignment than ill ever need:
251509_195151930539231_100001332774399_445294_4284439_n.jpg

direct fit:
215083_195151960539228_100001332774399_445295_2831696_n.jpg

direct(er) fit. dont mind the huge washers. :D lol:
222511_195151977205893_100001332774399_445296_5691017_n.jpg

Yeah I had the 1600 track bar too. It's a horrible design for any type of wheeling. Mine was loose after one run, so I upgraded to the 1660 setup when I went to the RE 4.5" lift. What I don't understand is even the double shear track bar is almost too short when fully compressed for a 4.5" lift. Just seems like a stupid design all around.

Just be careful with your heims that you have enough thread engagement and a tight jam nut to stay safe.

this bracket didnt drop much from stock. i think a bracket with more drop would let you screw the heim in a little more. id also be willing to be the 1600 bar isnt really meant for anything over 4.5".

its got plenty of engagement. :)

I hate to revive this thread, but how did you guys address the bolt size issue? Clayton's bracket is drilled to 9/16" where as RE bolt/misalignment spacers are 5/8". Did you guys drill out the Clayton bracket for 5/8" or??? New spacers and bolt for 9/16"?

I hate to revive this thread, but how did you guys address the bolt size issue? Clayton's bracket is drilled to 9/16" where as RE bolt/misalignment spacers are 5/8". Did you guys drill out the Clayton bracket for 5/8" or??? New spacers and bolt for 9/16"?

Both.

you can use a 3/4" to 9/16" mis spacers, or you can drill the hole out to 5/8" and use the traditional 3/4" 5/8" mis spacer.

personally, I am using a 7/8" heim at the frame end, so I drilled the clayon bracket to 5/8" for a 5/8" mis spacer. AND I am running a 3/4" heim at the axle end and using 9/16" mis spacer. :)

That's what I thought. I think I'm gonna got the misalignment spacers this time though, considering I already XXXXed up once tryin to drill it out more, which is why I'm having problems anyway. Thanks for the replies. Im gonna order this stuff now.

thank's everyone in this threat for schooling me!

After a fun Sunday under the jeep and a couple of trips to the parts shop,
(18mm wrench for the stock bracket and a 1-1/18 for the jam nut of the track bar), I was able to install the clayton frame bracket (stock height). here is a link:
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_i...d/309?osCsid=252aa603cfcec1de275448646069ed10

I had to drill out the hole to 5/8 just like rockclimber did. I used a drill press and the result was perfect.
I found misalignment spacers that covered the hole 2,5 inch spacing of the bracket. Thanks Dan at ruffstuff. here is a link:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/3458WIDE.html

It's all solid and exactly what i needed after wallowing out the stock frame bracket.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fak7cpj441n3equ/photo.JPG
thanks rockclimber for the inspiration.

Back