• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor install

mknack

NAXJA Forum User
The blower motor on my 2000 XJ went out recently (I think). It just stopped working completely one nice hot day in California. I replaced the relay and the resistor with no luck. So, narrowing it down, I assume that its probably the blower motor gone bad.

With that said, the dealer (Satan) wants $300 for the new part!!!! I checked around and found one at Auto Zone for $90. I think this would be the best option since they have a lifetime warranty on the part. I have read a few writeups about changing it out without having to evacuate the A/C. Does anyone know of a writeup that has a few pictures?

I just want to be prepared when I dive in to fix it. I know there are some brackets that have to be removed in order to wiggle the blower out, which ones are they? Any help would be great.

Have you checked for power at the blower motor plug to be sure?
You could be spending $90 to find out what you could with a test light or a $10 meter from Wal-Mart.

Before going too far, I think it's a good idea to try sending power directly to the blower, or checking the blower connection for power, to make sure the problem is there.

If you do replace the blower you can pretty easily see which things need to be removed. It may vary with year and equipment, but it's pretty simple, and the blower itself mounts straight to the firewall with three bolts.

I will see if I can find a cheap multimeter and check the power from the plug. Do you know what it should be reading at the plug with the switch turned on?

Before going too far, I think it's a good idea to try sending power directly to the blower, or checking the blower connection for power, to make sure the problem is there.

If you do replace the blower you can pretty easily see which things need to be removed. It may vary with year and equipment, but it's pretty simple, and the blower itself mounts straight to the firewall with three bolts.
That's my thought as well. Here's my writeup for erplacement on my '96 - obviously your '00 will differ with respect to some of the components in front of the blower, but I believe the general layout remains very similar.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/blower.html

Edited to add: Huh. Never noticed that writeup isn't complete. There's enough there to give you an idea what's going on, but it looks like I'll have to finish it shortly.

Jim
www.yuccaman.com/jeep

Last edited:
Note from DJ you might want to look for this relay 56006709 50732
2001XJ ac-heater blower is not working.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1063114
OP by shawnravish: 5-22-2011
My ac/heater blower motor has quit working all together with no warning. I have been searching in forums for my exact problem, however the only info I could find is on the blower only working on HIGH, and most people said to look at the resistor for this problem. I have verified that the motor itself works by taking it out and connecting direct power from the battery to it. I have also checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and on the passenger side wall. The only fuse that I found that might have to do with the problem is in the engine compartment and is one of those big sized 40amp ones, (the cover listed it as "blower motor" I replaced this and still no luck. I do not have a diagram to show which fuses in the passenger compartment are for what, however all fuses look to be fine. I can not find any ref. to there being a relay or anything, so not sure if there is or not. I have taken apart the panel on the dash, and could not find anything that stands out as broken or burnt, and the switch that controls ac/heat/defrost etc is working, so I assume that the panel is getting power.

Could the problem be the resistor? Is there a relay somewhere? Should I just try to replace the switch or is there anymore troubleshooting I could do.

---------------------------
Post # 2 by Nabopolassar: 6-19-2011
I'm having the same problem on a 99 XJ. I replaced the resistor - no effect. Replaced the blower motor (twice, both brand new) - no effect. Voltage meter says the blower should be getting 12v, so I would assume the wiring is ok. What am I missing?
-----------------------
Post # 3 by Saudade:
You need to check for power at the fan switch before you replace it.

Then check for ground at the motor.

------------------------------
Post # 4 by Nabopolassar:
Quick update: I read online about a relay behind the glove box (kind of hard to see, but it is there) that sometimes causes problems with the blower fan among other things. Relay number is 56006709 50732. I swapped that relay out with a new one, and the new blower seems to be working like a champ. So if your blower motor isn't working, you might want to check that relay before you start replacing things. Hope this saves someone some time!
Comment #4 Shane (209.193.50.82) - Thu Oct 1 00:01:18 2009
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport with the same issue. I took a shot at the fan motor first thinking it may have had a bad spot or something but the same problem kept occurring. I now found the relay behind the glove box that if I wiggle it causes the same problem and the relay is very hot (wire melting time coming up). Relay number is 56006709 50732. So the relay may be shot or the selector/know controlling the relay may be letting to much current through? I don't have a wiring diagram, but I think the fan side is good since the blower motor has been replaced. Any other thoughts or experience?
Plus other possible solutions offered in this pos

Well, I took cruiser and matthew's advice and checked the power to the blower. I bought a $12 multimeter from walmart and gave it a shot. When I went to disconnect the power cable, I noticed that it was pretty hard to disconnect it. Once I was able to get it off, I checked and it had 13.83V, which is fine. Here is where it gets funny. I went to reconnect the poser cable and it seemed not to go on properly. After playing with it for a little bit, it seemed to go all the way on a seat properly. I immediately noticed that once it seated, it was on a little different than it originally was when I pulled it off. Being a little suspicious, I went inside, started the jeep up and turned on the fan...........................and on it came at all speeds. I was a little annoyed that I spent so much time changing other parts first and a little relieved that I dont need to spend he money for a new blower motor or any other part. Good call on checking first guys, $12 saved me about $100. Thats why I always check here first. Thanks

Back