• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

28 Spline Ford 9" vs 29 spl 8.25

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Which would hold up to 35's better?

A 28 spline small bearing ford 9" or a 29 spline 8.25?

There is a possiblity you could break a shaft in either. 9" shafts are easier to change and you can upgrade them very easily.
No comparison in my book.

8.25"

28 spline Ford 9" shafts are smaller (1.19")
Oops...logged in with the wrong name.

There is a possiblity you could break a shaft in either. 9" shafts are easier to change and you can upgrade them very easily.
No comparison in my book.

Pro's and con's with both. For simplicity sake the 8.25" is a straight bolt in.

Perhaps some more info from the OP regarding what his plans are might help a bit.

Type of terrain, other vehicle mods, etc, etc.

For every one time you pull you shaft due to breakage you will probably pull it 5 times for garage wrenching purposes. PITA draining and pulling cover all the time. I run a 8.8 in my XJ. swaping in a leaf spring axle is a piece of cake and allows you weld in your pinion angle.
So long as you can live with width and bolt pattern I'll take a 9" over an 8.25 any day.

For every one time you pull you shaft due to breakage you will probably pull it 5 times for garage wrenching purposes. PITA draining and pulling cover all the time. I run a 8.8 in my XJ. swaping in a leaf spring axle is a piece of cake and allows you weld in your pinion angle.
So long as you can live with width and bolt pattern I'll take a 9" over an 8.25 any day.
^this

use the 8.25 if you already have it and it is geared and locked already. but if not, just go to a 9.

I would go with the 9" just for future modification possibilies. It's very easy to put 31 and 35 spline lockers and shafts into a 9". Not so much for an c8.25. Also very easy to convert to disk brakes.

A drawback on the 9" is the VERY low pinion, I'm about to build a pinion gaurd for mine.

Just do your research to make sure you get the right 9", there are a lot of variants out there.

why not go with the big bearing 9"?

mine has held up to 38's for almost 8 years now.

Agreed, if you are going to swap a 9 go big bearing, the old broncos come with 31 spline axles and will take a beating.

I beat the crap out of a 29 spline 8.25 with 35s.

Agreed, if you are going to swap a 9 go big bearing, the old broncos come with 31 spline axles and will take a beating.
QUOTE]

And that's the one I'm using, '79 Bronco. I assume he's looking at the 28 spline version from cars or the classic ('66-'77) bronco, because they're about the same width as the stock XJ axles. I think some of them are even 5 on 4.5.

in which case, wouldnt the 8.8 swap be a better idea?

the 8.8 isn't going to be 'that' much stronger than the 8.25, however the benefit of the 8.8 is the factory disc brakes, factory 4.10 gears (if that's the ratio you want) and the factory limited slip, in a 'near' bolt in application for around $150 bucks.

the 8.8 isn't going to be 'that' much stronger than the 8.25, however the benefit of the 8.8 is the factory disc brakes, factory 4.10 gears (if that's the ratio you want) and the factory limited slip, in a 'near' bolt in application for around $150 bucks.
completely agree. but if he is wanting just a lil bit more beef, the percs of the stock 8.8 options, then seems like a better mild swap than a small 28 spline 9".

My buddy just offered me a 28 spline small bearing 9" w/detroit locker and Dana 30 geared to 4.56 for dirt cheap last night.

To my knowledge I cannot put 31 spline shafts and such in because i have the small bearing housing. Which wont accept large bearing shafts... Can I put my geared/detroited case into a big bearing housing with bigger shafts?

As far as I know the gears and third member would be reusable, but for sure the locker would have to be changed, and you'd probably end up with a custom housing and shafts to keep it narrow.

If it's dirt cheap I'd say go for it and run it just like it is, the better gears and locker alone would probably be worth it. Then when you want to upgrade just sell it whole and go build something else.

Dirt cheap is only beat by free.

It's not a bad set up, and like anything there is better.

I was under the impression that you were looking to buy a stock sb 9, if you're getting a locked and geared set cheap, the answer is yes, go for it.

Dan

Back