• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

symptoms of a failing cam sensor?

ak95xj

NAXJA Forum User
What are the symptoms of a bad cam/ synch sensor?

Truck runs fine like 90% of the time but a few times already it got into this mood where the engine just sputters out suddenly while driving down the road,like its out of gas..I pull over it starts and runs fine then dies about a block later again, etc etc..When I got it home either it would crank and crank and barely sound like its catchin , or it would start right up and run for a minute then die again when I put it into drive..Then the problem goes away and its fine for another 200 miles.

It was getting spark last time this was happening thats all I know.

Only reason I say bad cam sensor is because it has a code stored for it..Code 45.

I threw a fuel filter on too cuz I had it laying around didnt do anything..

Its a 95 xj 4.0 with like 230k miles

Sounds like a failing cam position sensor or a failing crankshaft position sensor.

The crankshaft position sensor is the most likely suspect. Test it.

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CKP)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Are you sure 45 is for the cam sensor?

I found on a site where it is for:

Overdrive solenoid - open or shorted condition detected in overdrive solenoid circuit.

I can't find a definitive answer on the definition of this code number though........

Yes, 54 is for the camshaft position sensor.

It is located "inside" of the distributor. It controls timing of the fuel injectors as well as other things.

I actually have a spare one so Ive been waiting for it to break down before I throw it in and see if it fixes it..Not sure if its the crankshaft sensor as I was getting spark when it broke down (?)

I actually have a spare one so Ive been waiting for it to break down before I throw it in and see if it fixes it..Not sure if its the crankshaft sensor as I was getting spark when it broke down (?)

If you were getting spark when it broke down, it isn't likely to be the crank sensor.

No input signal from the crank sensor = no spark

You have a spare cam sensor? Put it in. It isn't difficult and you might as well start the process of elimination.

Back