• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump replacement ?

Ernrok

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 4.0 XJ sport and want to replace the fuel pump. It has 150.000 miles and from time to time if I run 1/4 tank or below it will start to sputter, like if there was water in the fuel. Another reason is because the only filter is the pump strainer. I could not find any listing or spot one on the vehicle. So my question, is there any way to replace it w/o dropping the tank, or just doing a parcial drop?

Thanks

Thanks Shorty. It look that way, I just wanted to see if anyone had a trick up their sleve. I have no access to a lift and want to save the $150.00 it will cost to have a mechanic do it. I also need to replace the leaf springs.

Not true. This is the actual filter/regulator....

http://staging.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-filter-fits-all-engines-4798301.html

It sits on top of the pump outside the tank.

I didnt know you could get those seperate from the pump I might just have to look into that.

But there is still a strainer in the tank. I wouldn't be replacing the pump yet. My 98 was doing the same thing extremely bad on turns constantley cutting out. I replaced just the strainer and the problem went away, It didn't look clogged but the new one from the parts store was over twice as large as the one that was in there, so my thinking is it holds more fuel to keep the engine from cutting out on turns. It was a well spent 15 bucks or so and its really not all that hard to drop the tank.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Muddbutt. You said it sit on the pump. Can you replace it w/o dropping the tank? My reason for replacing the pump is that since I have to drop the tank it might be wise to change it. I would hate to have to drop it again later. Thanks

Yes, the filter/regulator sits right on top of the pump on top of the tank.

No you can't swap in a new one without dropping the tank. Unless you want to cut a big hole in the floor of you cargo area.

If it's relatively stock it's easy to do. Just run it until you have less than 1/4 tank to make moving the tank around easier.

You'll need a floor jack, a screwdriver to remove the filler pipe and vent hose, and a 14mm ratcheting wrench. A regular wrench will work, just takes longer. A friend and a six-pack of beer ALWAYS helps.

I've done mine twice now. it only takes 10-15 minutes to drop it.

To swap out the regulator itself, pop off the stainless clip with a screwdriver. Your new regulator should come with a new clip, if not just be careful not to damage the old one.

Then you need to get two big screwdrivers under the regulator 180 degrees apart and pry it out. There are 2 o-rings on the stem. The smaller one seals the pump to the outlet and the larger one keeps dirt out of the system.

If yours is like mine was, it takes a bit of muscle to pop it out as the o-ring on top hardens.

Use your favorite lube on the new o-rings prior to installation.

Also, if you buy from Morris 4X4, they are a sponsor here. Scroll to the top of the page and hit "Sponsor Info". Look for Morris and they have a coupon code for 10% off......

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome link Birtchlake. This looks a lot easier then I thought. I ordered a carter pump assembly from the local parts store owned by a friend. It's about $150. Hope it comes with the filter regulator that's on top of the pump. Again thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Hopefully you will have an easier time with yours than I did.....

The worst part was getting the pump back in and getting the retainer nut back on.

Putting the pump back in was a little tricky because the rubber seal kept trying to fold into the hole the pump goes into.

And it was very easy to cross-thread the nut.

Just be patient and don't force anything, you should be good to go.

Well just wanted to report on a successful replacement. I started undoing everything after a 12 hr shift on Friday night. The reference Birtchlake posted was really helpful. got everything lose except for one of the nut on the passenger side straps hanger bolts. So I soaked it in Free All and tried the next morning but it would not break lose. So I reached out to my local parts store for a set of new strap hanger bolts and they informed my that it was a dealer item. So I located them at a dealer about 1-1/2 hrs away, and 53 bucks later I had new hanger bolts. I had to cut off the passenger side bolt and the heat shield was pushed to the side. Disconnected the (-) batt cable and all the lines, and the tank was down. So I emptied, cleaned, and installed the new pump. I replaced the retaining clips on the pressure line. I was told buy the counter man that i should fill the tank with 5 gallons of gas to make sure the pump is primed. She started w/o a problem, and no leaks. Oh the pump assembly was a airtex. I had requested a carter but it was a re-box an it would've taken a few days to get one, so i took a chance. It took about 5 to 6 hours but it running fine. Just want to thank all that replied to this post. Next upgrade will be a lift/suspension. I love my XJ.

Hey All,
I haven't had much time to update this thread but found some now. I'm out on workmen comp. Anyways so I replaced the fuel pump back in June and it ran fine except for one thing. I noticed that when I fill the tank 5 gallons of gas after replacing the original pump with the airtex my fuel gauge marked just under 1/2 a tank. I know this is not right so I got the parts store to get me a Carter. I haven't exchanged it yet just wanted to post before I did just in case there was something else I should look into. One other note I filled the tank when the gauge displayed just over 1/4 and it took 16 gallons. Oh the fuel gauge worked fine prior to changing the oe pump with the airtex.

The Airtex level sender doesn't have as many positions as the stock one does. In my experience the level arm is bent at the wrong angle, making it sit lower than it should. I won't be buying an Airtex pump again.

So my question, is there any way to replace it w/o dropping the tank, or just doing a parcial drop?

I just did my 98 4.0. It has to be dropped completely. Sounds like your strainer may be clogged or is picking up debris. If it was the filter on top, you'd have poor fuel pressure ALL the time. Pretty easy job to drop the tank and remove the fuel pump. Only a few sailor words were needed.

Ok just want to thank all who replied to this post. I've been out of commission due to shoulder surgery. I replaced the airtex pump with a carter and the gauge work. I changed it the day before my surgery because i knew I wouldn't be able to post surgery. Scorpion I believe that the part on top of the pump is not a filter it's a fuel pressure regulator. Anyway thank to all that replied.

Ernrok

The next project will be adding a lift kit from Rusty's. It's going to be a 3" lift. I already have to replace the rear leaf springs so I've decided to go with the kit they offer.

Ernrok

Back