• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got an XJ but cannot ID what has been done to the suspension?

jeepingymc

NAXJA Forum User
Guy I got the rig from says he put modified LCA's on it and installed a ZJ front end?
I am looking and it looks like a very crappy conversion, and also looks pretty dangerous too !!!!
Any help or advise on what needs to really be done to make this rig more stable and safe to use?
The main thing I need is advise on the front end setup. I have included some pics for everyone to look at and have a good laugh.
I just want to set it back up right to use offroad but still be able to drive down the road also if needed.
87Jeepand76KZ1000004.jpg

87Jeepand76KZ1000003.jpg

87Jeepand76KZ1000001.jpg

87Jeepand76KZ1000010.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA, what has been seen/done must be unseen/undone

edit: you have no lift in particular, just blocks from somewhere, I cant believe someone would use the bumpstop mount to do that....

Well, you are gonna need a lift kit, complete. The lift blocks are dangerous as is the booty fab front spring arrangement. Not sure about the shocks but you need to make sure they are the proper length for the travel of teh suspension. I would basically just start over with a proper lift.

i agree with others here and I would start over with a complete kit that includes the control arms. the one pic you show looks to me like a stock stamped upper control arm. It looks dangerous as is to drive, especially that front spring arrangement.

I see you boys in Alabama can rig anything to be lifted even if you don't have the proper parts, eh? But seriously, who in their right mind would set the front up like that!?! I think there should be a common sense and basic physics test for anyone that's about to modify a vehicle.

Stop driving immediately. The top of the coils don't look secured at all from the pics on my phone at all.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk
*signature not meant for NAXJA eyes

What's up with the steering? No one who would lift a Jeep like that could leave the steering alone. Is it welded together out of scrap too?

Always interesting to see what people will screw in up in order to save a few bucks. Good luck with your new project.

Holy crap please tell me this is a joke, Ive seen some terrible things in my time and this is up there on the list.. Don't drive it and order a new suspension..

bump towers look slightly XXXXed allready, get a new chassis too while your at it.
I'm with xcm, scrap this one, buy one that isn't a piece of crap. The bump towers weren't meant to be used to support the weight of the rig. They look like they've been flexing already (all the cracked undercoating). And like Chris said, based on the horribleosity of the suspension setup, I'd be scared of what else has been done that you can't see immediately...

what he did was welded a plate to the front bump stop towers... this is a BAD idea those towers were never meant to take that... CUT that out and put some spacers... or better yet order some springs ($100-$150 for a new set)

here is how to make coil spacers for about $10 at home... you CAN go up to 4" but I would stop at 3"

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRfrontCoilSpacers/FrontCoilSpacers.htm

as for the rear, take off that block and replace it with a bastard pack/lengthened shackle combo setup...

Back