• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear's are chattering HELP

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the gears in my jeep awhile ago, i drove it around lightly for the first couple hundred miles, then headed straight to moab.( about a 4 hour drive) The gears seemed to be just fine driving around for the first little while, then while i was on my way there a couple of hours into the trip i pulled off to get some gas and i noticed that my gears sounded like they were chattering. Its not so much a whining sound. It more like you can hear the gears grinding together? Any idea's?

By the way its in the front axle dana 30

'No much info, but sounds like maybe the yoke nut loosened up, allowing the pinion to walk forward into the ring gear. Try wiggling the front yoke. If it'll move side to side, the pinion setup cam loose somehow.
Another possibility is the ring gear bolts loosened or fell out, and the ring gear is no longer seated on the carrier.
Good luck. 'Hope your trip isn't spoiled.

I agree, you might have to tighten the pinion nut up. Should have used red loctite on it.

What year is your Jeep? There is a difference in a few of the D30's because some have a crush sleeve in the pinion and some don't.

My gears started doing that when the pinion bearings went bad. It sounded like a siren driving at 30 mph and a horrible chattering and vibration at speeds below that.

You need to pull it all apart and check everything. There are a number of things that could have caused this. The bearing cups may not have been seated, teh ring gear bolts could have come loose if they were not loctited, if the front is low pinion the crush sleeve may not have been crushed enough. I am not assuming anything about your work, just brainstorming on what could be causing the problem.

its a 97 with 4.88 i used red locktite on everything. i kind of just thought that maybe my contact pattern was way off but it looks pretty dang close to me. that wouldnt cause it would it? anyways i added a shim on the RGS to tighten up the backlash a bit it was at .009 not its at .006 and it chatters when i just turn it by hand. I think the pinion is tight i will go check that in a bit, just got back from work anyways thanks for the the help. If my backlash was at .009 for a few hundred miles would that mess up by pinnion bearings?

I Just poped the carrier out, and i spun the pinnion without the carrier in and its feels real ruff kinda like grabs when i twist it. Couls that really be what is causing all that noise? There was also some very fine shavings on the little magnet when i pulled the cover the other day. Do you think that something was adjusted wrong, causing shavings and that is what made the bearing go bad, or was it just because the backlash was so loose causing the other stuff.

i got the pinnion out and pulled the bearings. by looking at them the inner one looks fine but the outer one by the flange has got like pits and stuff in it. any ideas why it would be that bearing? or is that normal for that bearing to go out vs the other one? would it be the bearing preload that caused that? (dont remember what i had it at thought) Too tight to loose maybe? thanks

Back