• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How could this happen? (Diff question)

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Was installing a new cast diff cover when I found this surprise. How could this happen? This is the first time I've opened the diff since I bought the vehicle about 6 months ago. No issues, no noise, driven it pretty hard since I've had it. It's a rear D44 with Detroit locker.

2hq724l.jpg

Looks like whoever installed the locker tried to shim the carrier bearings from the bearing cup side.

yep, the shims were most likely installed outside the bearing cup... my front end did the same thing after i took it to a "reputable" shop to do my gears. you may need new bearings depending on how long/how much slop has developed in there... mine did.

Yea, that is a shim not where it is supposed to be. No noise, no metal in the oil? I doubt that slipped out. I may have been intentionally left like that by the installer. I would say it is your call to repair or not repair. Repairs should be done only by persons who have he experiance.

I haven't touched it yet so I haven't measured backlash, etc. I guess I never thought that it may have been assembled this way intentionally...nah, no one would be this sloppy. If it worked it's way out, it must be broken (no longer a complete ring) since the axle wouldn't let it come out so far.

I was just curious if this has happened before (according to dgrigorenko it has).

Back