• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Unseizing adjustable control arms

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of RE adjustable control arms, and the jam nuts were all seized up. I blasted them with liquid wrench and then used a hand torch to heat them up and was able to unseize all 4 of the smaller upper CA's. But now I can't get any of the lowers to budge! I have blasted the crap out of them, have set the torch on them forever, hit them with hammers, used pipe wrenches, tried everything I can think of, but NOTHING!
shrug.gif

Anyone have an idea what I can do? I guess I could try an oxy acetylene torch, but I think I might end up heating the metal too much and just end up deforming the tubes.

heat at the end good and hot, then spray pb, itll draw it in. heat it up again and then go at it with a pip wrench, use your highlift pole to extend the pipewrench for more leverage - thats how i had to do mine

there my bros control arms on his TJ to. We got 3 of the lowers done, broke one zerk but no biggie. Not the last one we cant get it at all. We have tryed everything. We even broke my vice!

Sounds like the seller misrepresented the product. What you purchased are fixed length arms. ;)

I always slathered the threads with anti-seize compound. Never had a problem with them. Good luck

I do have a welder why? We put it in the vice, welded a piece of tube across the arm, to make a X, to keep it from spinning on the vice, I could only weld about half in if the on each side. And it broke the tubing off

Sounds like the seller misrepresented the product. What you purchased are fixed length arms. ;)

I always slathered the threads with anti-seize compound. Never had a problem with them. Good luck

haha lol well they might become fixed if we cant get them inseized lol

just burn on a bead out of the way on the threaded joint. the weld is irrelevant, but the heat from the welder should be enough to break up whatever is binding it up inside

haha lol I could try that. Because that will produce just as much heat as a oxy torch. So just run a bead all around it to heat the piss out of it?

ya, turn wire speed down, you dont need to gain any metal, just want it hot. use it to break free leaf spring/shackle/CA bolts all the time

o so turn it down a ways? Becuase you turn it up your going to run alot hotter IE gain more heat. If I turn it down it will just be a small bead with less heat but then just do a bead or 2 to get the heat up? that waht you mean??

not turn it down a lot, you just dont need a big filler bead on there ya know> i mean you can flap wheel it smooth again when you are done, but its up to you, just another way of getting it hot. try different things

try putting a big wrench on it, putting a jack on the end of the wrench, and jacking the jeep up like that. seems to get them every time

o ok I got what you mean. Im not going to burn threw it and weld the male to the female will I? thats the only thing Im scared of
why you dont want it too hot, but also why you want to try and turn it as it is still glowing hot, not after it cools or sits for a few. have your bro try and break it free as you heat it.

apply pressure to the wrench or whatever you have on it but apply a rapid increse of pressure. work at it like an impact would, not just pry on it ya know.

Back