• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless with kids?

chad

NAXJA Forum User
How many of you guys that have kids run your xj doorless? I really want to take the doors off, but since the kids like to ride in the jeep sometimes (ages 3 and 1) I think I'll only be removing the front doors.
How bad is the wind in the back?
I've got power windows, is there a way to run a wire to the rear switches to keep them operational?
Do your kids like it?
Any other advise?
Thanks,
Chad

I don't have kids, but I've had a gf complain about the wind in the front seat from having just the front doors off. I've had friends ride in the back on the highway with the front doors off and not complain, but they weren't little kids, so I dunno what to say there.

I haven't seen any writeups on how to keep the back doors operational. Might not be hard, but I guess you'd have to resplice the power wire to each door.

Find a set of rear door to make half doors.This helps with keeping there feet and legs in if you flop.Also with all 4 half doors on mine the wind isn't that bad in back, but it does get alot of dirt in the back seat.
I have elec and manual doors for mine now, plus half doors

They'll look nice coated in dust.

LOL.

I'd rather not wheel with kids without a cage. But that is just me. It just depends on what your comfortable doing with them in the car, and how happy they'll be riding in there.

LOL.

I'd rather not wheel with kids without a cage. But that is just me. It just depends on what your comfortable doing with them in the car, and how happy they'll be riding in there.

I feel more comfortable wheelin without doors than driving on the street without them. Idk I guess I don't understand the Jeep thing lol.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. They do look good covered in dust, haha.
They don't ride in the jeep very often, and when they do it's just around town and maybe some real light offroading in the local hills. I think I'll keep the rear doors for now and just use a jumper wire to operate the rear windows when needed. I'm also adding a kill switch and a lockable storage box.

When i still had my XJ i took my little bro out all the time doorless and he never complained he would get pissed when the doors were on lol.

Finally took the front doors off and love it. I'm a little nervous about people vanalizing and stuff, but I don't keep anything in it now, and i'm putting in a hidden kill switch so hopefully it'll be fine. Now I just gotta take the kids for a ride and see what they think :)

Get your kids some POOL GOGGLES to keep dirt and such from getting in there eyes.Kids like to wear them, i know my grandkids did.LOL. That or sunglasses.

I don't know what your town or city is like but I've left my doors off in pretty questionable cities in NJ (Elizabeth, Jersey City, New Brunswick) and nobody has ever bothered me. Now that I think about it I actually found some strangers sunglasses in the cubby under my glove compartment in New Brunswick...score!

Get your kids some POOL GOGGLES to keep dirt and such from getting in there eyes.Kids like to wear them, i know my grandkids did.LOL. That or sunglasses.

Great idea, thanks! I might grab some tinted MX goggles for myself, it gets pretty windy out here.

I don't know what your town or city is like but I've left my doors off in pretty questionable cities in NJ (Elizabeth, Jersey City, New Brunswick) and nobody has ever bothered me. Now that I think about it I actually found some strangers sunglasses in the cubby under my glove compartment in New Brunswick...score!

That's awesome!

Before I installed a new master dwitch into my half doors I just had the switch under the dash so I could still roll up the rears when needed

I have a 4 and 1 year old. My 1 year old rides in his seat that has a 5 poin harness and my 4 year old has a 4 point lol. We all wear tinted safety glasses when we go doorless. I've been Rollin doorless with my older son since he was 1 and have never had a problem. Never had a problem with vandalism either but then again I've got nothing worth stealing unless they took. The whole jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Before I installed a new master dwitch into my half doors I just had the switch under the dash so I could still roll up the rears when needed

That's exaclty what I want to do. Do you remember what wires near the dash are for the up/down on the rear windows?

I have a 4 and 1 year old. My 1 year old rides in his seat that has a 5 poin harness and my 4 year old has a 4 point lol. We all wear tinted safety glasses when we go doorless. I've been Rollin doorless with my older son since he was 1 and have never had a problem. Never had a problem with vandalism either but then again I've got nothing worth stealing unless they took. The whole jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

That's great, can't wait to take them for a spin. Mine are 1 and 3, they're both in 5 point harness seats.

Here's what I did for a driver's side mirror. Used to run this on my dual sport bike.

picture.php

picture.php

OH, i did have a floor mat take off in back one day.So maybe you'll want to remove them.LOL. We have HIGH winds out here too. When you find a set of used doors for cheap, pick them up and make a set of half doors.I did and it is nice not to throw rocks inside now.Look thru the fender when sitting in the seat, i put a noodle float in there to help stop that and the water from the street from coming thru there.
I see you cut the hinges, thats good.
Have fun with all the looks you'll get from folks.

That's exaclty what I want to do. Do you remember what wires near the dash are for the up/down on the rear windows?
I do not as I stole a drivers door harness and plugged it into a spare master. Didnt mess with the wiring

Back