• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5'' BDS suspension...

McGraw

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I was thinking of buying a 4.5 Lift Kit from BDS suspension. It is for a 2000 Cherokee XJ, automatic. This is my daily driver and easy trails...nothing hard core. I would be putting on 32'' Mud tires (BF Km2).

jk_434H.jpg

Jeep Cherokee XJ 4-1/2" Lift Kit (Price $1,739.89)

In the tech info for the kit, it says that I would need to install a slip yoke eliminator and CV style rear driveshaft. But I was wondering if I could install a 1 inch drop transfer case and use a ZJ (V8) driveshaft (2 inch longer) instead.

Does any one as that kit...and did you have to put SYE or did a drop T-case did the job. (I know that SYE is way better, but if the drop T-case and ZJ driveshaft would work, I would go with this for now).

Any other comments about this kit would be appreciated.

Thanks

BDS makes good springs but you won't get much flex from those control arms, for the money I'm willing to bet you could do alot better, maybe clayton or Rockkrawler..

a transfer case drop might work. youll have to find out for yourself. if just the drop work, you wont need the ZJ drive shaft though. yours should be long enough. personal opinion from replacing a ton of U-joints... just budget for the SYE now and never worry about it again.

personally i wouldnt go with the BDS kit because of the LCAs and track bar which appears to have a TRE at the frame side.

I have the BDS long arm 4.5"... Love it. My buddy has a TJ with 6" lift and 35's... I have been everywhere he has been.

Rides great on and off road. Handles well too. This is my daily driver.

In the 2 years it's been on there I have only had one problem. The bushings on the frame side of the track bar have worn out twice. I contacted them the first time and a new set of bushings was at my door 3 days later. The second time was just recently. After talking to them, they are trying to find a different material to make them from. From what I understand this is number one on their "todo" list and are doing testing right now.

I can't help you with the SYE as mine went in the same time as the lift.

At 4.5 of lift, you really need an SYE, especially on a 1997-2001. A T-case drop would be a temporary short term fix until you purchase and install an SYE.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Yeah I thought about going with either Clayton, Rockkrawler or Rubicon Express. But since shipping cost are expensive for those kits, they become really expensive with this added price. BDS I know that the parts dealer here as it, so no shipping. But I'll look into the other ones, if they are available with no shipping cost.

At 4.5 of lift, you really need an SYE, especially on a 1997-2001. A T-case drop would be a temporary short term fix until you purchase and install an SYE.
Yeah, that's what I though. I was going to install this while in vacation at my brothers places....drive back here and install the SYE latter. It's a 650 mile drive from here.

Another thought.....

If at some point down the line, you wish to go to long arms, you will only have to buy the BDS arms and x-member.

Not sure if you can do that with the other brands.....

Also I forgot.... There was one other problem I had....

The quick disconnects SUCK!

I took mine apart, bought some rod ends, machined up some mounts and now they are just like JKS Quicker disco's.... Talked to the guys in the BDS booth at TDS and they said that's #2 on their todo list.....

Re: 4.5'' suspension...

Don't think I'm going to go long arm. Lots of guys have long arms and only hear good things about them. But since it's illegal around here and the cops are just looking for a reason to give you a ticket...I don't want to put the time and effort + the cash into this, to then have to remove my suspension cause they give me a mechanical inspection. Maybe when I only do offroading with it :)

''Good'' to know that the quick disconnects are that bad...

I'll look up for Clayton to see if would get the same or about the same deal.

Any of you have this 4.5'' setup from Clayton...comments?

Clayton.jpg

As for the SYE, any brand or model in particular...recomendations?

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

You said the 2000 Auto, so you are highly likely to have the 242 t-case. With a 242 there are 3 options for an SYE that I can think of:

- Tom Woods
- Iron Rock Offroad
- homebrew (not hard, but a little extra work)

EDIT: FWIW, I used to run the entry-level BDS spring / AAL kit. Really nice ride and it was nice for a BB to have full springs. I like their setups, but yeah their disconnects suck.

I have the BDS 3 inch lift kit on my 98' XJ (4.0l, AW4, 242J)

The shop that did the install suggested that before I did anything off-road that I also install an SYE Kit and CV drive shaft.

It's possible to get away with the 1inch drop if you don't plan on wheeling your XJ, but I wouldn't risk the serious repair bill you could rack up. With the 1 inch cross-member drop kit your T-Case is seriously setup to take a beating when doing just moderate Off-Roading. You will see why when you take a look at just how exposed and low the T-case sits afterward.

Tom Woods makes both the SYE kit, driveshafts, and will even set you up with axle shims if you provide him with the direct measurements off you setup.

Checkout Tom Wood's SYE Kit and Rear Drive Shaft combo.
(your stock front driveshaft is allready a CV should be good thru a 6-7 inch lift.)

http://www.4xshaft.com/

TnT Customs makes the best combo Cross-Member/Bellypan/T-Case Skidplate:

http://www.tntcustoms.com/xj.aspx

If you plan to wheel, do the SYE Kit & Driveshaft for sure.

Last edited:
Both kits are very good.

Although i prefer the currie as their control arms are far superior, johnny joints>bushings.

Their disconnects are better.

Their trackbar is a better design, double shear>single shear.

If you have a 231 I went with AA for the SYE they also have a driveshaft combo.

Don't think I'm going to go long arm. Lots of guys have long arms and only hear good things about them. But since it's illegal around here and the cops are just looking for a reason to give you a ticket...I don't want to put the time and effort + the cash into this, to then have to remove my suspension cause they give me a mechanical inspection. Maybe when I only do offroading with it :)

Clayton.jpg

Thanks again.
thats a nice kit, porch has a decent sye for the money and it's very similar to AA.

Thanks for all the SYE info guys...as well as for the other suspension kits.

To many options now ahahahah....to bad I don't have them installed on XJ to have test drives!

I'll do some more reading and homework to see what options I can get here....and let you know.

Feel free if you have negative or positive comments on the different kits!

Thanks

Another possibility is the DPG/OME Super Ultimate Hybrid suspension kit priced at $1,678.00. I really like mine and the ride is great!! The parts are all top quality.

Link: http://dpgoffroad.com/products/44-5-inch-super-ultimate-xj-old-man-emu-hybrid-kit/

Your call........

Have to tell you that that kit sounds really good.
  • OME Long Travel Shocks
  • OME Hybrid Custom or Dual Rate Leaf Springs
  • OME Coil Springs & Spacers
  • JKS Quicker Disconnects
  • JKS Adj. Trackbar
  • JKS Adj Lower Control Arms
  • DOT SS Front Brakelines
  • New DPG U-Bolt Kit
  • Front Extended Bump stops
  • DPG Swaybar Disco Cables
  • Leaf Spring Bushings
Sounds like it doesn't come with the Uper control arms...did you use the originals or added the JKS adj uper Control arms?

How's every day driving with this kit, is it stiff or not that bad?

Clayton.jpg

Thanks again.

I run this kit. Buy it. You won't regret it. Clayton Harris answers the phone if you have a question. I called to see what my initial lower control arm measurement should be (17"), and he answered. Talked to him for 15 minutes about the King Of Hammers he ran in. Cool as shit. The rear springs are made by Betts, very reputable. Control arm links are Currie's. Easy to get rebuild parts. Everything fit perfect. Also, no rear spring lift shackle; you use stock shackle, which I liked because I'm willing to give up a little flex for exhaust clearance (Gibson catback). Will intially net you a little over 5". Long arm upgradeable in the future. And do the SYE, and get it over with. You're gonna have to do it eventually (don't kid yourself). I put in a Teraflex SYE in 3 hours, and I had never seen the inside of a TC before. If you have the LP30, you'll want around 3-4 degrees of caster. Throw in some Bilstein 5150's, you're golden

Here she sits, all settled

jeep.jpg

Back