• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD driveline bind after turning off 4WD???

Killabee228

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I need help trying to figure out whats going on. I just spent a week replacing the control arm bushings on my XJ with poly.

I decided to replace them after having a 55mph death wobble for 4+ years now and its gone! but i now have another problem. Every time I disengage 4wd on any surface i go to turn the steering wheel i get a (not as severe) hopping sensation like a 4wd driveline bind. But, only in 2wd. And it goes away after 2 or 3 street turns. (I can tell if my jeep is in 4 or 2wd.) So, its not my transfercase.

I have replaced all the fluids in my jeep with full synthetic.

All of my tie rod ends and track bars are only a year old (from trying to stop DW)

I think it might be the front diff may be taking awhile to unlock. I guess that's why I am asking for help!!!

What transfercase do you have, and what year vehicle?

It could be that you switch it into 2wd, and the transfercase still has torque on it, which is not allowing the front to be disconnected until the load has been released, ie has been driven some. Next time you shift into 2wd, try stopping, shifting into reverse, then shifting it back into drive and seeing if you still experience the same symptoms.

You must be at a complete stop with the transmission in neutral to shift from 4WD to 2WD. Sometimes it is even necessary to drive in reverse a few feet.

That only applys to 4LO,4HI is shift on-the-fly.

That only applys to 4LO,4HI is shift on-the-fly.

Thats not even entirely true, I can shift into 4low from 4hi at low speeds.

Put shifter in neutral, shift 4hi-4low, shift into 2-3rd gear, let clutch out and keep climbing.

This is very useful for a long steep climb where you cannot get enough speed in low range, but run out of gear near the top.

1st gear in high range = 3rd gear in low range (approx)

I used to have this issue when my tires were at different wear levels do to replacements. New tires and it became a non issue.

I think i know exactly what is wrong..... I had this problem before. But, a long time ago.... My U-joints are crapping out on me again. Along with a bad passenger wheel hub. I can hear the grinding.

Ok, so its not my u-joints. Actually today I checked my diff fluid today and it was dirt colored. So, I took off the cover and took out the axle carrier. The main bearings are incredibly worn and there were metal specs about a 1/8" thick on the drain bolt (there's a magnet on it). While I was digging around in the axle there was a 5/8" grade 8 nut laying in the bottom of the differential. The nut was all scarred up and so are the inner gears on the axle carrier. The last people to touch my front axle was a local mechanic shop. So, I will be going there on monday!!! There's about 250$ worth of stuff to replace in there. (main bearings, and inner gear stuff. Not the ring and pinon.) I guess I'll be doing my own mechanic work from now on on my Jeep.

Ok, so its not my u-joints. Actually today I checked my diff fluid today and it was dirt colored. So, I took off the cover and took out the axle carrier. The main bearings are incredibly worn and there were metal specs about a 1/8" thick on the drain bolt (there's a magnet on it). While I was digging around in the axle there was a 5/8" grade 8 nut laying in the bottom of the differential. The nut was all scarred up and so are the inner gears on the axle carrier. The last people to touch my front axle was a local mechanic shop. So, I will be going there on monday!!! There's about 250$ worth of stuff to replace in there. (main bearings, and inner gear stuff. Not the ring and pinon.) I guess I'll be doing my own mechanic work from now on on my Jeep.
Damn dude, you're lucky the gears are still usable. Did that shop set up your gears?

Well I took it in to check what this wheel wobble was about (Not Death Wobble). He said it was the CV-joint and he replaced the joint. That was it. I don't know how the nut got in there unless if someone decided to be lazy.

Back