• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 swap question

drcomanche

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if this was covered in another topic, if it was, I'm sorry. I have an 89 Comanche 4.0l 2wd that I'm looking to upgrade to an aw4 4x4. I have an 88 Cherokee 4.0l 4x4 for parts.

So my question is, will all the parts transfer over to the Comanche without a hitch? Or will there be some things I still need to get? :dunno:

Btw, I know I will most likely need a rear driveshaft, or at least have mine shortened.

Thanks

While it hasn't been covered here, it has been hashed over a lot in the mod. tec. forum. 2WD - 4WD conversion is exactly the same for the MJ and XJ, except for the rear shaft(as you guessed)

The XJ donor has everything you need. (again, except the rear 'shaft)
You'll want to confirm the axles have the same gear ratios in them, unless you're also planning on swapping the rear axle out(not a direct bolt in, spring perches need to be flipped and relocated between the MJ/XJ axles.)

Search for more info in mod tec. There are a lot of threads on it.
good luck.

Thanks a lot. It does have the same axles as my back axle, so no need for swapping an welding there. I was just concerned about the manual to auto swap. There seemed to have been a whole lot more parts involved than a usual ax 15 swap and looking at how to's was a bit overwhelming.

The good news is, the AW-4 TCU in the '88 is a stand alone unit. You can pull the harness without having to cut/splice into you truck's harness.(Why the hell did they integrate that in '97/98 anyway?) You should just be able to pull the harness out of the XJ, and plug it into the MJ.

A lot of people go to the trouble of removing the pedal box and replacing it with the auto pedal box(pulling the dash in the process). Others just remove the clutch pedal, and I've seen one jeep that just left the pedal abandoned with the return spring and master cylinder removed.

Back