• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about benifts of the Inverted T/chevy 1 ton steering setup compared to Stock

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking about upgrading my steering to the inverted T setup with Chevy 1 ton tie-rods and have a couple questions.

besides the benefit of having stronger components that will stand up to harder abuse are they any other benefits to the upgrade?

can you feel a difference in the actual steering? does it handle better?

what are the other benefits to this upgrade?

Thanks

The strength benefits are obvious,what you should be concerned with is the "cons".Depending on your lift height and whether you do "OTK" or "UTK" will determine how well it actually works for you!

well im currently lifted 4in but may go a bit higher in the future. not sure If I want to go UTK or OTK. I have a rubicon express adjustable track bar and sway bar disconnects so I dont really want to have to change those around so I was thinking UTK.

i run utk at that height.... it bumpsteers a little bit, it sure keeps you on your toes on the freeway. i would suggest you go straight to otk, but if you want, you could go utk now, then drill out the knuckles more next time + inserts.... then just buy a new TRE for the one that gets reamed, converting it later on.

what kinda benefits you looking for? looking for some siiik drift angles?

well im currently lifted 4in but may go a bit higher in the future. not sure If I want to go UTK or OTK. I have a rubicon express adjustable track bar and sway bar disconnects so I dont really want to have to change those around so I was thinking UTK.

I ran UTK and recently changed to Currie because I got sick of the tie-rod roll. I am so much happier with the Currie steering than I was with my UTK 1-ton. My advice is to only run OTK if you do 1-ton steering - it will help to reduce tie-rod roll.

no tie rod roll here, but a lot of people mention it...

i wouldnt mind running the currie stuff either, it's bolt-on.

Im looking for overall better steering on hwy or off road.

Ive never had any major problems with stock XJ steering but again I have owned a stock XJ for a few years and this is my first time having a raised XJ.

either the currie or the jcr 1-ton will take care of that, either way.
if you do a lot of highway driving (dont we all?) maybe go with the currie instead.

I was debating between either the Currie system or the JCR.

Im glad i went with the JCR, i have no toe rod roll at 5 inches of lift, and all of the TREs are usually stocked in generic auto parts stores.

I am now going OTK with my setup, but on a waggy 44, all i had to do is get http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ES2233L&Category_Code=S6, but have it reamed for OTK.

Also, curries TREs are extremely expensive because they are manufactured for currie only, they are no an off the shelf part.

Also i believe the TRE in the drag link is unreplaceable, without getting a whole new drag link.

Back