• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What years used round vacuum ball?

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Did any other Jeep / Mopar vehicle use the same part?

It seems like the earlier models that didn't have cruise control from the factory had the round vac. res. The larger pill shaped res. was put in for extra capacity for the cruise control.'Seems like all the later models have the larger res.

You can go either way, they're interchangeable.

Pretty sure a TJ used it. I bought one that came off a TJ when mine ejected out the bottom of the Jeep.
I'm pretty sure that is not right. After disassembling everything from my dad's '00 TJ to replace the frame, there was no round vacuum reservoir. There was a rectangular shaped box underneath the battery tray attached to the fender that was the vacuum reservoir though.

It seems like the earlier models that didn't have cruise control from the factory had the round vac. res. The larger pill shaped res. was put in for extra capacity for the cruise control.'Seems like all the later models have the larger res.

You can go either way, they're interchangeable.
The earlier models had the pill shape, but they changed to the round ball in the later models. My '91 with cruise has pill, and both my '99s, my '98, and my dad's '01 that all have cruise have/had the ball.

I'm pretty sure that is not right. After disassembling everything from my dad's '00 TJ to replace the frame, there was no round vacuum reservoir. There was a rectangular shaped box underneath the battery tray attached to the fender that was the vacuum reservoir though.
Bought it off ebay. Seller listed that it came from a TJ. YMMV.

My 2001 has the round one. Think the Vienna sausage shaped canister was maybe even pre-HO engines? They have extra hose connections, IIRC. This is for a 99, not sure they are interchangeable.

Anyone? Anyone?

I'm sure 97 - 01 used em, just not sure when they made the change over.

I have always seen the ball shaped ones in Renix jeeps at the junkyard. My 96 had the pill style. I opted to retain the larger "pill" rather than use the "ball" that came in the 87 body. Either style should work, as it just hides in the bumper.

Renix with cruise had the football rezzies.
If you need the round one, GM products used them. Get one from the JY.

THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Thanks!

My 90 XJ has a football, with hoses coming out of each end (4 total) and cruise control...with hoses leading to the HVAC and CC respectively (end for end).

My 88 MJ has a ball, with only two hoses out of the side (ala mounting bolts) vac in and metered vac out, and NO cruise. The hose from the ball goes directly to the HVAC controls, that's it.

My thinking is that the football = two balls (with a "septum" [a divider] in the middle) one side going to CC servo, and one side going to HVAC.

So my theory is that if you just have a ball AND CC that you are underpowered in the vacuum reservoir department. Which could lead to emissions issues and driveability. A football or a ball can be had at a JY for just about nuthin'. Other cars/trucks with similar vac reservoirs will work too. I think I read a post here where someone has used a vac res. form a Porsche and it worked out fine.

Being plastic,I'll take new over the JY ones.I lost mine a couple months back(on my 2000 w/ the round ball style),its was 8$ from the dealer!

My sons(my 87) has both the round and the football shaped resv. I was told that the larger resv was for the CAD system.The 87 had both the CAD and cruise control on a 5 spd.
My 96 has the football,, not sure whats in the 98..

Back