• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Verify my used ring and pinion contact pattern

Monster Mopar

NAXJA Forum User
I just got finished setting up a used gear set in my rear axle. Since this is my first gear install I wanted to get a second opinion on my contact pattern.

Since it's a used gear set I'm supposed to go of the contact pattern on the coast side, right? If so I think it looks good but the drive side has me second guessing, I'm having a hard time disregarding it.

Here is the coast side:

CIMG0426.jpg

CIMG0432.jpg

And the drive side:

CIMG0431.jpg

You need to apply ALOT more pressure,and focus on the drive side.

Okay, thanks for the tip.... But are you sure about focusing on the drive side for a used gear set... Everything I've read says when setting up a used gear set focus on the coast side

Alright, I reduced the pinion depth shim stack by .022" Backlash is a little looser than I'd like but still in spec at .0095"

Drive:

Notice-in this first picture you can see the ware from the old gear pattern, It appears to me that my current pattern matches the old pretty closely. I was thinking about reducing the pinion shim stack a little more but after I noticed that I'm really interested to get some more opinions.

CIMG0437.jpg

CIMG0438.jpg

Coast:

CIMG0436.jpg

Yea, I definately would rather those backlash number but I don't can't get it lower and stay in spec... I'll fiddle with it some more and see what I can do.

On a side not since I'm a freeking perfectionist I decided to try and get more ideal pattern, all I ended up with was something that looks even worse. Guess I'm going back to the previous shim stack, haha.

Jeeperjohn--Thanks for the reply. Please educate me what are you seeing that makes you say I should remove .002"??

On another note I went to swap out my set up bearings and I must have omitted a shim or accidently added another one because my pattern drastically changed, and like a total noob I didn't have any of my shim stacks written down :doh: So I spent the next few hours trying to hone in my pattern again, anyway, this is what I have now:

Pinion depth stack: .053

NRGS stack: .046 - will be adding .005" for preload

RGS stack: .045 - will be adding .005" for preload

Backlash is varies from .008" - .0095"

Coast side:
CIMG0446.jpg

CIMG0445.jpg

Drive side:
CIMG0448.jpg

CIMG0447.jpg

Now I know that an used gear set you want the drive pattern closer to the toe. But my pattern seems to close (but this is my first set up, so perhaps I'm wrong), I would like to have the contact pattern a little closer towards the heal but no matter what the pattern hangs out right at the edge of the toe. Why can't I get it to move? Or maybe what I have is good?

Jeeperjohn--Thanks for the reply. Please educate me what are you seeing that makes you say I should remove .002"??

On another note I went to swap out my set up bearings and I must have omitted a shim or accidently added another one because my pattern drastically changed, and like a total noob I didn't have any of my shim stacks written down :doh: So I spent the next few hours trying to hone in my pattern again, anyway, this is what I have now:

Pinion depth stack: .053

NRGS stack: .046 - will be adding .005" for preload

RGS stack: .045 - will be adding .005" for preload

Backlash is varies from .008" - .0095"

Coast side:
CIMG0446.jpg

CIMG0445.jpg

Drive side:
CIMG0448.jpg

CIMG0447.jpg

Now I know that an used gear set you want the drive pattern closer to the toe. But my pattern seems to close (but this is my first set up, so perhaps I'm wrong), I would like to have the contact pattern a little closer towards the heal but no matter what the pattern hangs out right at the edge of the toe. Why can't I get it to move? Or maybe what I have is good?
You said you wanted it perfect and there is still just a little too much stripe at the top of the teeth. The position of the pattern in relation to the inside or outside of the ring gear teeth is basically not of concern. What is important is how the wear sits in relation to the top or bottom of the groove of the ring gear teeth. You could run the pattern you have and it would probably be just fine but since you want it perfect I recommend going just a tad more shallow on the pinion depth.

Oh okay great, thanks for the explanation. I've been trying to find the best balance between getting a good contact pattern centered on the tooth in general... So you're saying I should focus more on centering between the root and top. Thanks again for the explanation!

Oh okay great, thanks for the explanation. I've been trying to find the best balance between getting a good contact pattern centered on the tooth in general... So you're saying I should focus more on centering between the root and top. Thanks again for the explanation!
No problem, if you have more questions PM me for my phone number :thumbup:

jeeperjohn, just wanted to say thanks again for helping a gear noob! Your advice was right on! I took out .002" on the pinion depth, set the backlash to .008" and got a much better contact pattern, you're a life saver man :clap: Well maybe not life but definately sanity and money saver :laugh3:

I was so excited to button this axle up I forgot to take pictures :doh:

I owe you a drink if you ever find yourself up in my neck of the woods!

jeeperjohn, just wanted to say thanks again for helping a gear noob! Your advice was right on! I took out .002" on the pinion depth, set the backlash to .008" and got a much better contact pattern, you're a life saver man :clap: Well maybe not life but definately sanity and money saver :laugh3:

I was so excited to button this axle up I forgot to take pictures :doh:

I owe you a drink if you ever find yourself up in my neck of the woods!
You're welcome brother, my pleasure. Happy wheeling!

I'm trying to set mine right now and am running into a problem. Mine was too wide to fit into the diff so had to bust off a bearing to pull off some shims. How do you set the right amount of shims on the carrier when the bearing has to be pressed on and broken apart to be pulled off?

If you don't have a bearing splitter and the appropriate press or puller then most people will make a set of "set up bearings". They are bearings with the inside diameter honed out just enough to slip on and off, but have no play.... Check out the dana 60 regear how to wirte up over on pirate4x4. A lot of the same tricks can be applied to other axles, especially danas.

Sorry to resurrect your old posts but I'm wondering how it's running now 18 months later? I'm considering running a used R&P myself, any advice or things you would have done differently? Hindsight is 20/20 right? Thanks.

Back