• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bog on hard acceleration, revs fine in neutral

Hired Goon

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ, 4.0 auto. Starts and runs good for 10 minutes or so. No CEL. After it gets to normal operating temp, it bogs bad on hard acceleration, sputters and backfires. It does not die. It revs fine when shifted into neutral. I can powerbrake it, but when I get further into the throttle it bogs bad, sputters and the like.

Put in new fuel filter, replaced cat and muffler (both trail smashed) new o2 sensor behind cat. It had the same issued before and after replacemet.

TPS? MAP?

Test or replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor. If the ECM thinks the engine is still cold, it will run in full rich warm up mode. The extra gas will load up the plugs.

It runs fine until it warms up and the program switches from the open loop program to closed loop.

I had it out today. When warmed up it runs fine as long as I do not give it too much gas. It revs fine in neutral but bogs when you give it too much gas.

Still no CEL

Back