• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 and newer doors on an 88 MJ.

flingshot

NAXJA Forum User
I just aquired an 87 MJ today. I'll load some pics tomorrow.
It needs fenders and since the window regulators are shot and it has ugly truck mirrors on it, I was thinking about just getting a 97+ clip and doors.
So the question is will they fit? Are the hinges different?
Latches?
Can I put the older door panel on the new door?
If Anyone has a write up or some pics, i would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I would ask crazyjim on here. he had an mj that he swapped a 97+ grill/headerpanel and fenders to . he should lead you to the right path

you will need to remove the current striker and bolt in the newer style. this will require a new hole in the door jam.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/body/154_0901_jeep_cherokee_xj_door_upgade/index.html

Here is the writeup from when we put newer doors on my MJ. There is a picture of the striker mod that 1990JEEPXJ mentioned.

Good decision on going with the manual windows and locks. I have since gone back to manual myself. The older door panels won't fit the newer doors. But the newer manual door panels will not interfere with the glovebox door, as noted in the article.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/body/154_0901_jeep_cherokee_xj_door_upgade/index.html

Here is the writeup from when we put newer doors on my MJ. There is a picture of the striker mod that 1990JEEPXJ mentioned.

Good decision on going with the manual windows and locks. I have since gone back to manual myself. The older door panels won't fit the newer doors. But the newer manual door panels will not interfere with the glovebox door, as noted in the article.

Ah yes, the infamous "Johnny's butt" article.

Those early model MJ doors sure look familiar party1:

Ah yes, the infamous "Johnny's butt" article.

Those early model MJ doors sure look familiar party1:

I knew it was just a matter of time before you chimed in. :) Do you still have my old doors?

Guess I was wrong - there isn't a pic of the striker mod. So here's one. Some people weld up the old hole for a cleaner look and stability. Mine has been like this for more than two years and hasn't budged a bit.

IMG_9032.jpg

Back