• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trabuco canyon?

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Got a family thing this weekend in ranch Santa margarita. They say to bring the XJ for a run up trabuco canyon.

I know nothing about it.

Is it a legal run? Is it worth rumbling the family down the freeway for?

Sorry no one else has jumped on this.....

I can't say I know much about the area. I do know that the N. Main Divide runs through there.

Looking at the map it looks like Trabuco Cyn. Rd. hooks up to it through Holy Jim. From there you can go a short distance south to the 74 (Ortega Cyn.). Or north to Corona. It used to go all the way to the 91 fwy, but I believe the exit there is closed off now.

It's all pretty mild as far as four wheeling goes, but there's some cool stuff to see up there. Santiago peak which is the tallest peak in O.C.. Beeks Place. The overlook to Lake Mathews.

Last time I was up there, I started in Corona and finished at the 74. Took a little over 4 hours.

HTH!

Last edited:
Ha!! I had a thread on here about the "Legal" roads out in trabuco canyon. No one knew what I was talking about.

I live down the road and wheel Trabuco all the time. Just be careful of the bikers, and the hikers. There are a lot of them on the weekends.

There are a few places to take the XJ....BUT just so you know..MOST everything off of the main trail is considerd trespassing. If you look on google maps you will see an offshoot still called trabuco canyon road on the left. I've been up it a few times. Nice overlook of the canyon. Still not sure if it's "Legal" to drive on it, but it has the same name as the proven "legal" road....so idk. I'm sure there will be others wheelin' out there so...go wherever you feel confortable. There are cops, border patrol, and rangers out there. So if you get caught off of the main dirt road there is a big chance you will be fined.

There is a parking area towards the end if you want to get out and go hike a little. All the way at the end is another hiking trail that runs along the creek. Pretty nice little hike.

YOU WILL NEED AN ADVENTURE PASS TO PARK YOUR VEHICLE ANYWHERE ON THE TRAIL.. FYI.

Have fun!

Back