• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I ditch my XJ?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I have a thought in my head to buy an M1009 CUCV, the Blazer style. However, It would likely need to be my only 4x4. If I did this idea, I might also sell my 73 Ford and camper.

I know the 6.2 is gutless, but stock, guys are getting 22mpg highway, which kicks the hell outta my XJ and my Ford. Heck, it even beats my little Nissan pickup and the minivan. With 33s on stock gears, one guy claimed 24 mpg. Yes, it's diesel and costs more, but it could make up for the extra cost when I get better than double the mileage of the Ford and 10 better than the Jeep.

With the removable top, and pull the back seat, it could serve pickup truck duty in a pinch, or hook up an M101 trailer to it, and haul whatever. Plus, the removable top would be awesome. That's one of the biggest things I miss from my old Tracker.

Off-road, plans would entail swapping in M1028 or M1008, or other Chevy 1 ton axles (1028/1008 are D60 front -LSD on the 1028, 14 bolt rear with a locker, 4.56 gears), HMMWV tires (radials are $100 from 100dollarman), with recentered HMMWV 12 bolts from Trailworthyfab (406 YJ on Pirate), and a 4" RC lift with full packs, no blocks. I figure this will go absolutely anywhere the XJ will, tires will be cheaper, axles stronger, better mileage, and overall more useful for trucklike things without driving a truck full time.

Talk me out of it. :D

If this happens, XJ will be parted, Ford will be sold along with camper, maybe Nissan too. Camping duties will stay tent bound for the time being until I get a trailer and build a RTT setup.

Have you ever driven one. Sure the 6.2 sounds great but they are slow as hell. I was looking at them for a while but after driving a few they really suck.

A friend of mine has the pickup version of the CUCV. My impressions:

Runs great, plenty of low end torque. (Diesel, of course)
The thing is wide.
Completed stripped cab - no creature comforts of any kind.
The thing is wide.
Listed as a 5/4 ton. Has springs that would hold up a dump truck.
The thing is wide.

I would certainly look at getting a softer spring rate, as it is one of the roughest riding things I've ever been in, including a 5 ton dump truck.

When we went up a couple of canyons in Panamint Valley, my friend was making 5 point turns that the XJ would handle in a single turn. The width and length can be a problem, depending on the kind of places you're taking it.

Personally, if I had seen this before I bought the XJ, I'd consider it. But I'm happier with the XJ. Even though the XJ isn't fancy, it's light years more comfortable. I think overall for camping and off-roading, the XJ is more practical. But the Blazer body would be better than the pickup version.

The one my friend has already has 60s/14 bolt under it, with 4.56 gears. Perhaps the Blazer version isn't as heavy, and maybe more lightly sprung?

David Bricker / SYR

The Blazer is only a 3/4 ton with 10 bolts f/r w/3.08s. But, I'd be swapping the springs for a 4" Rough Country lift anyways and the axles from a pickup to get the low gears, locker/lsd, and strength.

I'm ready for a stripped cab...My XJ has power windows and locks, but the locks don't always unlock, one window is dead, one is intermittent and one is super slow, especially in the cold. I'm used to width as I currently have a 73 Ford as my towrig (that hasn't been reliable enough to tow with yet)/camping hauler (see previous parenthethis).Mind you, I've never wheeled anything as wide as a full size, but most trails I've been on seem like they'd accomodate a SWB fullsize like the Blazer reasonably well.

Speed isn't an issue really for me. I'd eventually turbo it (6.5 turbos/manifolds are supposed to be a direct swap and Banks makes a kit - if you don't mind spending nearly 3 grand) and probably swap in a 700R4 for the better gearing and OD.

I probably will wait on doing this for a little while, possibly until tax time next year, but we'll see. IF I can even bear to part ways with my XJ. Either way, I'll be hanging around NAXJA.

Last edited:
If it's in the future, find a way to keep your XJ.

The blazer would be easier than the pickup, due to the shorter wheelbase - good point. So, perhaps that makes the extra width much less of an issue. Come to think of it, none of the PV canyons really have width as a major issue; the length is the bigger problem. you'll just get more desert pinstriping, but so what.

My XJ is a simple interior - crank windows, no leather, etc., but is a lot more comfortable than the stripped interior of the CUCV. I'm not sure if you've seen them, so my apologies if you have, but there is nothing in these. All metal, no floor covering, no door panels, no headliner. In the desert, the CUCV got real hot real quick, and it wasn't even summer. But, you could always add a headliner and some heat mat for carpeting.

So, I can't say one is better than the other - just different.

David Bricker / SYR

I figure I'll head out to check out what he's got and see how everything is, maybe test drive one if he'll allow it, then if I like it, come back when I have the means to pick it up.

one of the only advantage of those over a civilian K5 (IMHO) is the fact that they are diesel. that way you can swap in a 454. but the 24 volt system would be a pain in the butt.

I'd stay with diesel and the Blazers are 12 volt I'm pretty sure
From what I have read on them, they are 24V, and are rediced to 12V at the firewall. You can covert starter and such to 12V

Check out www.SteelSoldiers.com , it has ALL the info you need on these. I was thinking about buying one for a while, and still am. Those things are tougher than shit, and you can beat the hell out of them and they will still keep asking for more. The 24 volt system, ISN'T actually a 24 VOLT system. It's a hybrid setup, with the engine accessories, and windshield wipers being the only thing that are 24 volt. This is EASILY fixed when/if you swap in a Gas motor. I would do it in a heartbeat. If my XJ didn't have $20k+ in it already, I would do it tomorrow.

Check out www.SteelSoldiers.com , it has ALL the info you need on these. I was thinking about buying one for a while, and still am. Those things are tougher than shit, and you can beat the hell out of them and they will still keep asking for more. The 24 volt system, ISN'T actually a 24 VOLT system. It's a hybrid setup, with the engine accessories, and windshield wipers being the only thing that are 24 volt. This is EASILY fixed when/if you swap in a Gas motor. I would do it in a heartbeat. If my XJ didn't have $20k+ in it already, I would do it tomorrow.
I'm already signed up with Steel Soldiers from when I was planning on buying an M1028. :) I could've sworn I heard somewhere that the M1009 was all 12 volt, but I'm probably wrong. :D I would want to convert to 12V, but keep the dual alternator/dual battery setup and have one tied into the engine, the other isolated to drive accessories (add'l lights, stereo, winch, etc.)

I've got close to $10k in my XJ, but that includes purchase price and all mods bought, whether I still have them or not, plus I love the thing.

I ditched my XJ, haven't looked back yet, sold everything I had with it too. If I ever desire another one, im sure i will find one, just had no used for it anymore.

I also bought a Chevy truck, it hauls my 450 around, gets the same gas milage as the XJ, its quiet, stock, seats 5 adult, and my kid can't kick the back of my seat anymore. So far it's been a very good decision....

Justin

Some of the things on my XJ could probably be moved over. I'd keep the winch, shocks if they'd fit/work, and Hellas, and I think the K5 had switched to the square headlights by this point so I could bring my headlights over as well. But, that's about it.

Darky this is a nice dream, but dude wake up. You know as well as i do your wife isn't going to let this happen at this time.Now go to work. LOL. Send me a PM on the tuck and camper. I just sold my 73 last year and am looking for a new one.
Thanks

Pony up the cash for the appriproate shocks. The XJ shocks are not going to even come close to doing the job right. My room mate has a 1009 and we tried swapping shocks from a few different vehicles (trying to do "cheap/broke" tuning). The 1009's are a good rig as long as you take into account that they are NOT a speed rig. Run the 4.56's and the 37's and you will be decent on the road. If you can find one...look for an Allison from a newer deisel rather than a 700R4. The 700 can be built up to be a pretty decent trans, but between the cost and the tourque of the 6.2, it's akin to tossing money in the porta john. Shoot me a PM if you need info, want pics, or anything like that on the 1009's. I also have tires, rims, runflats, and new o-rings that you could get into for a lot cheaper. (NO, I am not trying to pimp my for sale thread, just trying to save a fellow Jeeper a little coin)

Also, talk to the guys at Off Road Designs in Colorado. Great dudes to work with as far as just about anything you would need for it. If you do decide to lift it....go with the crossover steering and be done with it.

Darky this is a nice dream, but dude wake up. You know as well as i do your wife isn't going to let this happen at this time.Now go to work. LOL. Send me a PM on the tuck and camper. I just sold my 73 last year and am looking for a new one.
Thanks
This is one vehicle purchase the wife would actually be on board for...I was musing aloud about selling the Ford to buy a 1028, but then I'd still have the same issue with passenger space. So I thought about forgetting the military option altogether to get a crew cab Chevy with the 6.2 when she said it would be better just to get a 1009 and a trailer...:D Mind you, I wouldn't be able to run the camper in it. But that's where the trailer comes in. Tent camp on the ground until I can swing an RTT, or even find a used pop up camper for cheap.

I'm running Bilstein 7100s, very stiff valving up front, 12 or 14" travel shortbodies. 10" travel shortbody rears, what kind of mounts do Blazers use?

Back