• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another trackbar question - how tight is tight?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ with a case of death wobble. 2" lift. no other major mods.
I have read a lot of the threads (for years, actually), but still have one question.
How tight should the track bar really be? I don't mean the actual bolts that secure it in place. I mean how much wiggle is O.K.? It has bushings on both ends, so obviously there is some movement intended. I can grab the bar at the big bend near the diff and wiggle/rotate it maybe 1/4". Not up/down movement, but rotational, if that makes sense. The bar is relatively new. Replaced it maybe a year ago with a Mopar part.

If the trackbar is a Mopar and it is one year old, simple logic says you another problem causing your DW.

Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:

-Front tires out of balance
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Needing an adjustable track bar
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount or brackets
-Damaged axle brackets/mounts
-Steering box looseness
-Driveshaft(s) not balanced
-Bad front hub assembly

That's the most concise list I think I have seen. Sure beats picking through 1000 posts. I am going to print that out and hang it in the garage, LOL.
I have checked pretty much all of those things, but I'll keep poking around. It's gotta be something. Thanks.

LOL. I have mostly abandoned that forum. Got tired of the "Patriot Blue XJ with a 2" lift and 35s on soft 8s" pic requests and the "what muffler makes my 4 cylinder sound like a V8" requests.

Good info. Thanks.

i have zero hand felt play in my tracbar.... i dont care how new it is, or who sold it to you. check the axle side mount for a wallowed out hole, its pretty common on xj's.

i have zero hand felt play in my tracbar.... i dont care how new it is, or who sold it to you. check the axle side mount for a wallowed out hole, its pretty common on xj's.
x2.
I replaced mine with a bigger bolt from the local hardware store (but have to shorten it). With new bushing and bigger bolt (axle/trackbar), my 55mph DW is 90% gone (have not done my alignment yet).

GL.

Back