• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are your thoughts on a lock rite locker?

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
I sold my buddies xj for him and he gave me a brand new lock rite front locker and 4:10 gears for free.I just wanted to know your thoughts.of of course I grateful for it since they were free.

If I were buying a locker I would get an Aussie. That being said though I put a lock right in my 8.8 before I knew about Aussie lockers. It's been in there close to 8 years now and it still works great.

A free lock right? Install it!

For small tires 31/32 and mild offing the 4.10 and the LR is a good setup IMO. If you looking at bigger tires and/or like to pound on her? Sell the 4.10 and use the bucks for bigger gears the locker is a harder call. Many are useing it with 35 and mild or little offing with no problem. Others will pound one to death in short order with 31s. No one knows better then you how you wheel. You call it.

Your thoughts on a lock right locker

I am thinking about installing a lock right locker in my d30 but want some feed back first because I have read mixed reviews.its going in my daily driver.

Re: Your thoughts on a lock right locker

Go with a Spartan locker. Best lunchbox locker on the market at the best price. Get with RobertK www.rawkhaussupply.com for the best price on the net. This locker is the best design and the easiest to install. You may want to look at getting a stronger than stock carrier also.

Thank for the great info.I was given this locker brand new.should I sell it and get the one you recommend?

Is it even worth putting a lunch box in a stock axle?should I just sell it and save to up grade my axles and get a air locker?

Is it even worth putting a lunch box in a stock axle?should I just sell it and save to up grade my axles and get a air locker?
I would say it's worth it to put the locker in a stock axle if you are careful with it. Some alloy axle shafts would be a great upgrade to add to it. You could get a bit more reliability out of your stock axle shafts by installing 760X u-joints and full circle clips.

Ok.I just didn't want to invest a lot into it and it not be worth it.I slap got free 4:10 gears for it.gears and locker brand new.I just gave to but gears for the rear now

It was very easy to install my lock-right pull carrier keep shims where they came from all you do is take out the spider gears and and replace them with the lock-right ...If you can do your drum brakes then you can do this it was so easy took me like 45 min to do the whole thing including inner axle seals.I love my disco I am saving for a lock-right for my D30

Yeah, unless you want to run a 33" tire....!!!1

huh?

If your saying a spartan wont hold up to 33's then your flat wrong. They are typically installed on 35's, Even in a D30. And I have installed them in a few D60s and 14bolts, one 39.5" and one with 42" tires. over a year ago on one and its abused, and one that has a Caddy VVT motor in it and niether have once complained.

???

I can only talk about my experience. I installed a Lockright into my D30 in 2003 (along with a Detroit in my D44 rear). My rig has 33's. I never hear/feel it when driving on the street (not a DD) unless I turn really tight. It has never failed me. It has been down the Rubicon 6 times, Ducy 5 times, out to the hammers multiple times as well as many other trails. I am not hard on my rig... if I feel any binding, I usually try another line. It has worked great for me.
Just my .02

I had F/R Lock Rites in my 1989 XJ with a towing/torque cam, pistons, stock D30/35 rolling 35's.

Never broke an axle, u-joint, or locker, I use the skinny pedal wisely.

Lock-er-up!

Back